We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loi Krathong

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Loi Krathong

We are planning a trip to Thailand for November (08) and would really like to make sure that we are there for the Loi Krathong festival (heard so many good things about it!)

2 questions please:

1. When is the festival this year?

2. Since out itinerary is open at this point and we are very flexible, can you tell us where would be a good place to watch the festival? (ie Bangkok? Chiang Mai?)

Thanks for any help!!

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loi Krathong

Hi Freedom

the festival starts on the 12th or the 13th of November. We are going to Chang mai for it! We arrive in Chang Mai on the 13th.. unfortunately we can not go any earlier as there is a release of 1000's of lanterns the week before just outside of Chang Mai! Check out the Chang Mai forum as there is some info recently on there.

i am sure where ever you go for it it will be great!

\Cheers

Chelle

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loi Krathong

Thanks Chelle,

I just flipped over to the Chiang Mai forum and found all the information I need there - great!

See you in Chiang Mai in November! (I'm excited already ... how many more sleeps???)

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loi Krathong

265!!! lol

sad but true.... but hey it will fly!

Catch ya in the Chang mai Forum!

Chelle

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
394 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loi Krathong

Loi Krathong is celebrated all over Thailand so wherever you choose is sure to be atmospheric and simply awesome.

For us last year, we were in (Ao Nang) Krabi. Because we were on the coast the lanterns were being released from the beach with all of the tourists free to join in as well as the sea being lit up with hundreds of floating Krathongs.

It was a really beautiful and unforgettable sight that is just magical. You'll absolutely love it wherever you decide!

Definatley double check on the exact date though as it was the end of November last year.

Nikki

Mentioned in this post
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,330 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loi Krathong

I was at the Shangri La in Bangkok for it in 1997 and it was great!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Loi Krathong

Hi Nikki

you are right last year it was at the end of november, but as it is celebrate at the time of the full moon it is earlier this year.

Would have been beautiful to celebrate it at the beach!

cheers

Chelle

Melbourne
Level Contributor
171 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loi Krathong

We'll be in Ko Samui. Would luv any tips on where to go for the festival?

Mentioned in this post
Ko Samui
Ko Samui
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
8. Re: Loi Krathong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 11:22