We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go other than Bangkok and Pattaya

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
818 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go other than Bangkok and Pattaya

Can you all help please? My husband and I last went to Thailand 32 years ago and that was to Bangkok and Pattaya. We now want to travel there again. Our holiday need have changed after 32 years. We are now planning to spend 1 week relaxing somewhere, 2 weeks travelling and then 1 more week chilling on a beach. Where would you all recommend for 60 year olds! We like, in our old age, to stay in 4/5star hotels or really decent 3 star ones. We want to go for the month of January 2009. Any form of travel would be o.k. for us having just returned from Indian train journeys! Thanks

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go other than Bangkok and Pattaya

Chiangmai is a very nice city, bad traffic like most of Asia, but lots of charm, character, and things to see and do. Great day (or longer) side trips to see hilltribes, forests, elephants, etc.

For a beach try Krabi, Rayong, or Khao Luk, three very different places.

Kanchanaburi has a lot to offer (aprt from the Bridge and Death Railway), with lovely coiuntryside, riverside resorts, waterfalls and so on.

A trip along the side of the Kong Rover (Mekong) in Thailand's northeast is a nice way to relax and see some of rural Thailand.

Level Contributor
342 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go other than Bangkok and Pattaya

Bangkok today can definitely be done in style!

Thailand as a whole has opened up signficantly and the outlying towns and beaches have been modernised to cater for tourists.

In Bangkok, stay at the Oriental Hotel - rated consistently in the world's top five hotels and overlooks the Chao Phraya river. Luxury at its best. You will be pampered here.

Shopping for you will probably be more upmarket too - you don't want to drag junk home so head over to high quality local produce places like Jim Thompson Silk shops, good department stores such as Emporium and purchase good such as Celadon or Benjarong pottery. (You could go to Jatujak market and buy it cheaper however I'm not too sure whether you'd be too crazy on the idea of walking amongst thousands of people in small laneways...

Instead of Pattaya which has become way too commercial head over to Hua Hin and stay at the Chivasom spa and resort - checkout the web link www.chivasom.com.

Also worth taking a trip to Chiang Mai to see the hill tribes, golden triangle and general beautiful mountain scenery. In Chiang Mai the best hotels are the Sofitel or D2 which is a Thai owned hotel - part of the famous Dusit group of Thai hotels. There you can grab a ride on an elephant as well as take a tour to see the railway that featured in the movie bridge on the river kwai.

A train ride worth taking which goes from Bangkok to Singapore is the Venice Simplon Orient Express. This is the Asian version of the European Orient Express and passes through very scenic countryside - a journey with memories you'll never forget.

Have a great and memorable trip to Thailand!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
983 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go other than Bangkok and Pattaya

I would definitely miss pattaya out , there are far nicer beach resorts in Thailand.

Bangkok has an abundance of 4/5 star hotels , many at reasonable prices.

for ameal out I would recommend Cabbages and Condoms. It's a restraunt run to help single mums and those effected by HIV . The food was excellent and there is also entertainment.

A friend of mine did a day /night trip from Bangkok to a spa which was based on a lake i think and said it was excellent.I cant remember exxactly where to though. It may have been based around an Orchid theme ?

Chiang mai is excellent. I did a day trip which was worth it. The c ity is totally different to Bangkok.

Have you thought of flying from Bangkok to Siem Reap ( Angkor Wat) for 3 days. Its an amazing place

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
818 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go other than Bangkok and Pattaya

Thank you for your advice. I really don't want to stay in Bangkok at all. Other options for beach and sight seeing, please. Sharon

Aussie - Brisbane
Level Contributor
235 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go other than Bangkok and Pattaya

I really enjoyed Chiang Mai and Ko Samui when I visited Thailand about 3 years ago but I have heard Ko Samui has since become very popular.

I have heard very good things about Ko Phangan and when I travel to Thailand again this is a place I will not miss.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go other than Bangkok and Pattaya

Kanchanaburi, Huahin, Prachuabkirikhan, the northeastern provinces...

London
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go other than Bangkok and Pattaya

Hi Shassa!

Would recommend The Tongsai Bay Resort in Samui island for both of you to stay !

Enjoy the trip!

Londener

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go other than Bangkok and Pattaya

Hi

You really should check out Bangkok for a few days

It has changed so much in 32 yrs.

If you want to see the Thailand of 30 yrs ago head to Issan area it is rural but the true Thailand there are some nice size citys and good accomadation's and good sites not over run by tourists.

Jan is high tourist season on the beach's

maybe check out Hua Hin. for beach chilling

many expat brits live and retire there.

from my experience most 2 star hotels are better than western 3 star. so you will have no problem getting great rooms.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go other than Bangkok and Pattaya

Kanchanaburi is lovely! We stayed at the Oriental Kwai Resort and it was beautiful, an excellent, small hotel in a gorgeous location. Lots to do in Kanchanaburi....have a look at the forum page, and it's only 2.5 hours from Bangkok.

We stayed 3 nights there and I wished we'd stayed at least a week!!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
293 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go other than Bangkok and Pattaya

Hi. if you are looking for a nice beach resort i can strongly recommend the amari hotel in trang especially at that time of year. its 5 star reasonble in price fantastic spa and you wont go wrong. btw 60 is young 90 is old. have a great holiday.