We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thailand and Singapore

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
98 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Thailand and Singapore

My friend and I, along with a 4 year old will be visiting both Thailand and Singapore at the end of May. We intend to spend at least 4 days days in BKK our first stop and then off to SIN for 7 days before heading back to NY fron SIN.

Can anyone advise which airlines are better for the international flight from NY to BKK?

Should I book my BKK to SIN leg of the journey from NYC? Or is it cheaper and fairly easy to get a flight in 4 days from BKK to SIN? Which airline is best for this?

I am not interested in a structured tour from NYC....too rigid in terms of time frames. Are the hotels fairly good at providing tour information?

Most importantly, can anyone tell me of a hotel/resort in both Bangkok and Singapore that is at least 4 star that has a kitchen so that I can prepare meals for my 4 year old. He is a very picky eater. I also need a place with air condition to ward off those pesky mosquitoes.

Lastly of the 4 days in Bangkok, I would like to go to Phuket for at least 2 days. My schedule is not written in stone and I can lessen my days in Singapore if need be as I truly want to see firsthand the rave about Phuket.

Thanks for your help.

Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thailand and Singapore

Hi. I live in Singapore and love it here - but as a tourist I think you can easily see the sights and sounds of Singapore within four full days, leaving you more time for Phuket or elsewhere.

Pinkpower
Level Contributor
243 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thailand and Singapore

Hi,

I agree with the last post. There is definitely more to see and do in Thailand. Besides, accomodation is cheaper with several nice serviced apartments in bangkok with kitchenettes for a reasonable price.

Accomodation in Singapore is more expensive and there are fewer places with kitchenttes.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thailand and Singapore

I'm just looking at accommodation at BKK at the moment and have come across Grand Diamond Pratunam which has a kitchen and air con. The rooms are 45sqm and have seperate bedroom and lounge. Looks a bit like a mini appartment.

Perth
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thailand and Singapore

The Grand Diamond is a gtreat hotel, but there is no crockery, cutlery or cooking utensils in the room. There is a hot plate with two burners and a microwave. I don't know if you can request these items from housekeeping, we didn't bother finding out.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thailand and Singapore

hi.

both singapore and bangkok are wonderful cities completely different.

the hotels in both cities are just brilliant.

in bangkok try the intercontinental or the jw marriott and in singapore try the regent or the st regis.

all hotels can help you with tours and arrange the last detail about everything.those hotels i mentioned don't have kichens in their rooms but from room service you can practically order anything-usually have kid menues including club sandwich, hamburgers, french fries, pasta and other things kids love.if you have time definately visit phuket but avoid patong beach area-it is just terrible.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
41 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thailand and Singapore

hi you might want to check the budget airlines for your air ticket from BKK to SIN, such as Air Asia and Tiger Airways are pretty cheap. I've traveled on Tiger before and it was comfortable enough. do take note that seats are pretty near to each other so you might feel crammed.

new york
Level Contributor
98 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thailand and Singapore

Thanks for all of the great information provided. I believe we are now ready to book now.

I will break up my days this way........

BKK 4 nights

Phuket 4 nights

SIN 4 nights

I have decided to leave my 4 year old at home for several reasons, including the 17 hour journey. He is a very, very picky eater and I am fearful of running into problems with him there. I took him to South Africa when he was only 2 and we had no problem with him. However, last year it was a tremendous challenge to find him things he liked in Aruba.

Thanks again for all of the great information.

Bangkok, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Mae Hong Son
Level Contributor
761 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thailand and Singapore

Regarding: "Can anyone advise which airlines are better for the international flight from NY to BKK?"

Personally, I think there is only one choice: nonstop from JFK to BKK via Thai Aiways. Cutting out a connection saves a lot of time, and it would also be a lot more convenient, particularly with a very tired four year old. The service is excellent as well.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thailand and Singapore

Hi Lubbybubby

I would recommend either Thaiairways or Singapore Ailines for their excellent service because you have to spend a day on the plane!! However, between Thailand and Singapore you can easily find cheap flights from the internet or agencies in Bangkok. Have no idea about the price since it depends on your dates & seat availability so you need to check.

For hotels in Singapore try booking thru travel agencies in Thailand or Thaiairways' package, the Royal Orchid Holidays.

As regards to the hotel with kitchen, I don't think you will have that in hotel in Bangkok. If kitchen is a must for you, try looking at some serviced apartment or holiday flat for rent. I used to stay in a place called Maple House near Sathorn. It's quite a nice place with kitchen but not in tourist spot. Not sure how many stars have they got tho.

Worcester UK
Level Contributor
754 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thailand and Singapore

Last summer we went to Thailand and Singapore with our 11 and 8 year olds. We spent only 4 days in Singapore, and for us that was plenty - you are wise to cut down that part of the trip.

We flew from the UK with Emirates, which was fine - although you would have to go via Dubai (we did a 4 day stop over there too).

But for the trip Bangkok - Singapore we used Air Asia - absolutely no problems, punctual, easy to book on line, and a great price.

Have a good trip!