We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Songkran- Thai New Year

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Songkran- Thai New Year

Hello,

I am traveling to Thailand for the first time and we are staying in Bangkok from April 12-15 at the Peninsula before we depart to Krabi. I am interested in knowing if the water that is thrown ceremonially over the new year is dangerous if it hits your skin? I heard that you should not drink the water in Thailand is this true?

Also, will there be any fireworks for Thai New year? I am just interested in knowing what to expect.

Thanks!!

Besita

San Francisco CA

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Songkran- Thai New Year

The water that is thrown is not going to harm your skin. You should not drink anything other than sealed bottled water, available everywhere including your minibar :) Some riverside hotels may have firework displays. Bear in mind that there is rather more than 'ceremonial' throwing of water - in most places its is impossible to avoid getting soaked. Just make sure you have a good shower when you get back to your hotel room.

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Songkran- Thai New Year

And dont have your hair done then try walking back to your hotel. As I did, hairdo ruined. I found constantly getting wet both annoying and amusing all at the same time.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
557 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Songkran- Thai New Year

The water thrown isn't dangerous but I've heard of more than a few incidents of people getting eye infections and the like. I suggest carrying a small towel around in a water tight pouch.

In addition, be very careful with electronics and don't wear expensive clothes. Along with the water their is baby powder and Thais couldln't care less whether you are carrying a $1000 camera or wearing an Armani Suit.

somerset
Level Contributor
472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Songkran- Thai New Year

And remember the Thais love to keep blocks of ice in there water barrels to cool you down (bl***y freezing)HaHa.

Andygsxr

5. Re: Songkran- Thai New Year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 14:22