We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok weather

Northern England
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok weather

We are travelling to Bangkok on Saturday for 3 nights and then onto HCMC. The weather forecast throughout is for thunderstorms which is disappointing.Do the thunderstorms occur at a particular time of day and will any of the sites such as the floating market be affected? Thanks in advance

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
228 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok weather

You should be fine - it has been a bit unseasonably rainy here over the last week, but the longest has been a 20 minute thunderstorm mid afternoon. The rain evaporates immediately after a storm, so should not disrupt your plans at all.

Mostly when it rains it's late afternoon - if you're going to floating market at damnoen saduak you'll be up at the crack of dawn so you'll miss any rain!

Have a good trip :)

Perth
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok weather

Hi

can anyone help me with the average weather around the end of May? rain, temperature ,etc .

Is Bangkok ever get cold, do I need to bring any jacket or umbrella?

thank you

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
228 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok weather

ahhh, a jacket ... yes, i recall vaguely wearing one of those back home. those were the days!

No, you won't need a jacket. It would only take up valuable baggage space that you could be filling with shopping on the way home.

An umbrella is useful for the rare shower or more likely to keep the sun off, but don't bother bringing one with you as they are cheap as chips here.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok weather

It's so hot these days in Bkk, no rains at all. I think May should be a bit cooler.

No need jacket. Take your sun-glasses and hat. That's all.. You'll be fine.

Enjoy the trip!

Perth
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok weather

Thank you for the infos.

Hopefully it's getting cooler but not raining. Coming from winter in Australia will be a big weather change. If we can't handle it will stay in the ac malls.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
228 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok weather

I hope it's cooler then too - it's unbearable just now! You're never far from AC, don't worry :)

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,465 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok weather

The only thing you may need a light jacket or sweater for is overnight bus rides where the air-conditioning is sometimes quite aggressive. Some women in particular carry a wrap of some kind to cover their shoulders in the Skytrain or air-conditioned malls. I once had to buy a light jacket after flying into the northeastern province of Loei in late May/June. It was truly chilly, the first time I experienced that in Thailand. But otherwise, you'll hardly need a jacket in Thailand.

An umbrella can come in handy, not just for rain but also as a sunshade. But don't bring one, buy a cheap one locally and leave it behind when you leave.

Perth
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok weather

very good idea..

I only allowed to bring 15kg with air asia! don't know where to put all things that I am going to buy in there

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
228 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangkok weather

check in early - i was 12 kg over weight when i came out here (coming for 6 months) and no one batted an eyelid. that was with emirates mind you. I was told that they are stricter as the plane fills up later on. Not sure that's correct, but what i was told by an airport staff member later!

malaysia
Level Contributor
128 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bangkok weather

Planning to go mid August. What would the weather be.

Monsoon?