We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My JBR part 2 from batt

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
My JBR part 2 from batt

My JBR part 2 from batt

Next day...

More hassles today , not only did we not get tong for this trip , but the lady we were going to share with also pulled out , so we had the more expensive trip instead of sharing it . Today was the day I had been dreading ,,,The Tiger temple , I really wasn't looking forward to the heat out there.

We started driving for what seemed forever , and then we stopped at the cemetery & then the bridge over river kwai museum , it had started to rain by now which was keeping the temperature down , luckily .

The museum was very interesting with many things to see and read about , me being a slow reader , we seemed to spend a while here , but that was ok to me .After that we headed to the bridge over river kwai , immediately hit by hawkers selling their post cards now , the rain was getting heavier and my fear of bridges and the amount of people on it , turned me off wanting to walk to the other side , it was wet , slippery and had many gaps .......I am sure I wouldn't have fallen , but that fear factor was enough to keep me on the solid ground.

We had lunch at the restaurant right at the bridge , supposed to be the best around , but my taste buds weren't liking it , so a quick lunch and off we went with tai for some souvenir shopping ....... we brought a fair few things here !

In the car once again , a little bit wet this time , and off to the tiger temple...yay , the rain had stopped for us , but it was still fairly cool .

This was a little scary , knowing your inches away from something that could kill you in a minute , but so exhilarating at the same time .... now there has been lots of arguments about this place , I cant say what goes on and what doesn't , but I can say is , there were a couple of lively tigers in the canyon on this day , maybe because it wasn't so hot ...I don't know .... but I was a little worried with how lively they where . we proceeded behind the monks on the walk to the canyon and got some great photos , then we were first in line to have shots in the canyon , I didn't really know what to expect , and the big scaredy cat that I am , I kept a good distance between the tigers and myself , not really making for great photos , but hubbys were excellent ! they take your camera from you , ask how many people in your group , leave 1 behind as the take photos of 1 person , they then take your arm and lead you to each tiger , where another person snaps 3 or 4 photos of you with each tiger ...I think there was 4 or 5 of them ......people everywhere , tigers everywhere ...I was nervous , but so glad that I went through with it , we have some great shots !

we asked tai if she wanted photos and god bless her , she didn't want to waste our time ....we tried hard to get her to do it , but she wouldn't . so out of the canyon we go to have a look around , we had some shots with 2 cute cubs then off to see bam bam the bear ...how cute ! but I don't think I would like to wrestle with it , not with those claws .

we finally convinced tai to have some photos with the cubs which I think she was over the moon about . We had cows and pigs and deer all following us at one stage and I even got a photo of the peacock with its tail open in all its glory ....fantastic !

I am so glad I chose this day to go to the tiger temple ...it was warm , but there was no heatwave that I thought I would encounter , it was a great day here .

Back to the car and a short drive along we stopped off the side of the road to feed the wild monkeys , its so cute how they are scared of us , when we are offering them food ....I think I was more scared of them ! hahaha we stood there for a good while feeding all the tiny monkeys , I tried to keep feeding the mummies and babies , but the big daddy kept following me and scaring the others away ...lol , we spent a good 30 minutes here as I was mesmerised to be so close to wild monkeys and to see how they interacted with us .

Then it was off for the train ride , we were a bit early so our driver decided to take us to a local market and cave along the death railway ....more bargains to be had here with t-shirts 150bt and short and top suits for the kiddies for 130bt .....here we go again , walking along a railway track on a bridge, in the wet , but I was much better this time ...we had a look at the cave which was once the hospital for the injured workers ......now this place I know has an awful history , but what great scenery , it was so pretty here .... we started walking back along the tracks and wouldn't you know it , my fear factor kicked in , everything started spinning and I started to wobble , I knew if I didn't get a grip I would fall , so I calmed myself down , closed my eyes for a minute and called t hubby ....he came back and held my hand the rest of the way , not that it was long , but .... I never knew this fear I have of bridges was that bad !

We done a bit more shopping , shouted tai an ice cream and finally the train arrives.

Wow , how many years has it been since I sat in an old red rattler ,hanging my head out the window ........many ......lol

This was so much fun to watch the locals and see the local housing & local area , many people went to sleep , but I couldn't stop watching everything go by , I was so fascinated by it all .

Back in the car again for our journey home , and its now raining again , stopped long enough for us to see everything we wanted....what a awesome but long day .... I ended up sleeping on the way home and when we finally arrived back at the hotel exhausted , we just decided to have dinner at the close , little bakery restaurant again , but it was no where near as good on this night as it was the first night , must be a different chef !

A good day had by all !

Next day ....

Today was our walking tour of the grand palace and , china town & the flower markets with tai .

It was so much easier having someone with you who knew where to go and which taxi to get , when and where ....lol

1st stop was a couple of wats , the day started off not so hot , but boy by now it was warming up already !

next stop was the grand palace where we got to watch the new monks initiation in progress , beautifully dressed all in white they were , with all their family members crammed into the wat . No-one minded us watching and being explained to as to what was going on , I think they seemed more interested in us sticking our heads in the door actually , it made me feel right at home !

The grand palace is so big , I didn't realise , that this place could have so much to look at .

we spent a couple of hours here , having a look last at the air-conditioned coin museum to cool us down . There were many people coming to show respect to the kings sister who had died not long ago , so the place was filling up fast .

we then asked tai if there was subway for lunch anywhere , we needed a normal lunch by now as all we had eaten for days was Thai food , as nice as it is , I just needed a sandwich ! so she walks us to subway and leaves us for some privacy .....she's so sweet !

After lunch we went on a longtail boat ride through the canals , this was a great trip , very pretty in most areas and something very different .....then it was off to the flower market ....OMG ...they have some beautiful flower arrangements and garlands , I asked tai the prices of 12 red roses ......nothing in comparison to what they charge in Australia for them ...hubby could buy them every week at that price ! ...lol ....even the flower arrangements where so inexpensive , it was amazing !

Off to Chinatown we go ...tai headed down a small alleyway that was jam packed with people everywhere , that many people in fact that you couldn't even see the shops , we lasted 30 minutes and told her to get us out of there !! .....so hot and cramped , I just couldn't take any longer ....lol

it was now about 2.30 and I wasn't feeling the best , I had forgotten about other places to see and I was just so hot that we told her that we would call it a day .

I ended up with a shocking cold from the aircon in the car on the day of the tiger temple , most probably because I was also wet ....but the throat was killing me and I just couldn't stop coughing .

we had MacDonald's for dinner as it was just around the corner and went back for again , some much needed sleep !

The next morning we had a taxi booked to pick us up at 8 for our flight to chiang mai .....we waited patiently for him to turn up , when a taxi driver already at the hotel asked us what we were doing , we told the situation ......he came back 5 minutes later asked us what time our flight was , then he started looking worried as though we would not make it on time , he gave us another 5 minutes and said you sure you don't want me to take you ....in the end , hubby said yes we may as well , so we loaded his taxi and off we went ...again 400 bht to the airport , no rip off here !

we get onto the express way and he is zig zagging in and out of traffic , flying along to get there , god , I'm thinking to myself , I didn't think it was that far away ....lol ....looking at his speedo , he was sitting on 140klm ...weaving & dodging .... I thought to myself , I will be lucky to make this flight at all .....lol before we knew it we were at the airport , it had only taken 20 minutes ...I don't know what time he thought we said we had to be there, but we surely made it with heaps of time to spare , thanks to his lead foot ! hahahahahahaha

I guess it was better than sitting in banked up traffic !

my next JBR will be in chiang mai forum for those interested



Level Contributor
1,474 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My JBR part 2 from batt

Another great report, all the memories came flooding back with the Tiger Temple, the Bridge, the Monkey's, they were our 2 best days of our time in Thailand, although we freaked Tong out when the kids decided to walk the Bridge and the train comes along, Rene Rene where are the children, on the bridge, here comes the train says Tong "sh*t" I reply but they did have the sense to stand back in the cage with the other tourists until the train passed. They now tell me it was one of their highlights :)

Thanks again for all the excellent JBR's you certainly know how to write...


Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
548 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My JBR part 2 from batt

Great jbr, Batt. I don't know how I missed the tiger temple during my last 2 visits to Bangkok but after reading your jbr, it will be at the top of the list of things to do the next time I go to Bangkok.

Thanks for a great read.

Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My JBR part 2 from batt

you must , it was great fun ...but....I am a self confessed scaredy cat now ....lol



4. Re: My JBR part 2 from batt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 01:17