We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suan Lum Night Bazaar closure update

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bangkok
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Suan Lum Night Bazaar closure update

There was a legal notice published in The Nation newspaper today in regards to the closure of the night bazaar.

It basically said that the current operators of the expired lease, P Con Developments, are now subject to arrest. Today one of the lease holders was arrested. He was bailed by the court promising not to contest the closure anymore. The 3 other owners of P Con have had arrest warrants issued for them. Further the P Con head office has been repossessed by the Crown Property bureau. Finally the notice says that all stall/market holders at the bazzaar are at risk of arrest if they do not vacate immediately.

We will wait and see.

bkk3

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suan Lum Night Bazaar closure update

Oh Sugar

Is this the last step?

Always enjoy as I can shop little then go to the garden for a few brews while she who is to be obeyed carries on with my wallet and card.

Ah well WEM here I come.

I am sure that it will rise from the ashes somewhere.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suan Lum Night Bazaar closure update

this is not good!

I will be so upset if this place is closed and i don't make it there in a few weeks time :-(

Malaysia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suan Lum Night Bazaar closure update

Any other similar market as Suan Lum (other than Chatuchak as i am in BAngkok only on weekdays) and can provide me the location? i will be there only in July, looks like don't have chance to visit the market.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suan Lum Night Bazaar closure update

Not a market, but instead a mall, however they are quite well priced is Platinum Mall, on pratunam road.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,930 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suan Lum Night Bazaar closure update

Suan Lum RIP it would appear. :(

singapore
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Suan Lum Night Bazaar closure update

oh no, when it will be closed? My friends and I are intending are planning to go there this coming early July. Would it still be there?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suan Lum Night Bazaar closure update

bkk3,

Do you know what the future use of that site? Maybe something will be better at that place. Who knows?

bangkok
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suan Lum Night Bazaar closure update

SDwanderlust

The land where the night market is currently situated has been purchased by the Central Pattana group of companies. Their plans are to redevelop the site to consist of a mjor shopping precint (similar to Central World), offices, apartments and other entertainment venues such as cinemas, bowling alleys, restaurants and clubs. There will also be a number of embassies relocating there as well.

It won't be to everybodies liking on this forum but this is the direction the Thai government and tourist authorities are taking. They want less of the low spending/budget tourist (e.g. copied DVDs, fake clothing etc) and more of the high spending variety where they buy real designer products etc.

bkk3

Level Contributor
583 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suan Lum Night Bazaar closure update

What about all the folks who have stalls at the market -- are they out and thrown to the wolves; sad...sad...sad.

10. Re: Suan Lum Night Bazaar closure update

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 09:24