We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thai Airways JFK - BKK Non Stop Possible Cancellation July 1

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
846 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Thai Airways JFK - BKK Non Stop Possible Cancellation July 1

In monitoring the Tahi Airways Flyertalk - it appears that Thai Airways is discontinuing their JFK - BKK non stop on July 1. A good indication of the truth to this as they have stopped taking reservations on that flight after July 1. It appears that those who have paid tickets after July 1 ( myself included) will be offered alternate options. Apparently Thai was losing a ton of money on the flight. Too bad, it was a great flight. Supposedly an announcement will be coming shortly. Stay tuned.

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Thai Airways JFK - BKK Non Stop Possible Cancellation July 1

I have round trip tickets for July 31...I have been in contact with Thai Air and have been getting the run around. No one seems to have any information other than the route is being reviewed and the board will be voting on whether or not to discontinue the route. I did receive a reply to one of my emails from Thai Air Information department indeed stating that as of July 1st the route will be discontinued but no one can tell me what my options are other than wait for information. I am afraid that the longer we wait the more expensive other flights will be. I was willing to cancel my flights today and rebook with another airline but they wouldn't let me. I have hotel reservations, tour guides,tours, domestic US and thai flights that all hinge on these reservations...if my international flight changes too much I have ALOT of rebooking to do!

Breathing deep and trying to be patient!

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
846 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thai Airways JFK - BKK Non Stop Possible Cancellation July 1

Wiseguy:

Since you have paid for your ticket Thai is obligated to find you alternate transportation, so you shouldn't have to have any penalty unless you choose to cancel, get a refund, and rebook. For your information, Thai has a codeshare flight from JFK to BKK via ANA that gets into BKK at 9PM rather than the 4:10PM. It leaves around 12 noon and stops in Narita. If you're coming from Chicago they might re route you to the LAX flight. I would just sit tight and see what they propose. Supposedly they will have a decision made next week.

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Thai Airways JFK - BKK Non Stop Possible Cancellation July 1

Do you think one of the options will be to just get a full refund? I live in Chicago and the only reason we were flying out of JFK was because it was non stop. I would just like to rebook out of Chicago and be done with it. I am afraid to book another set of flights in case they refuse a refund and only allow passengers to reschedule? They also told me a refund to a credit card would take 60-90 days!

Any thoughts?

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thai Airways JFK - BKK Non Stop Possible Cancellation July 1

Wiseguy,

My bet is they reschedule you on the LAX-BKK flight. It is also non-stop on a A340. Not much difference for you really - the flight time is about the same. It arrives in BKK @ 6:40 AM.

Cleveland Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thai Airways JFK - BKK Non Stop Possible Cancellation July 1

A friend called me this morning that he heard on the radio this morning that TG was cancelling its NY flight immediately--and would be discontinuing LA flight by the end of the year. I have JFK-BKK flight paid for leaving 6-27 and return BKK-JFK for July 7. I plan to call tonight (when hopefully they will be open in BKK). Hopefully I have no problem with at least the June 27 flight. I don't think they can just "re-book" everyone onto the LA flight--I'm sure that would be full. And that is peak travel time! So I expect everything will be all booked.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
130 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thai Airways JFK - BKK Non Stop Possible Cancellation July 1

it's low season in Thailand right now, so the flights may not be all that full. I had read that the LAX flight was being reduced to 5x per week in either the BKK Post or The Nation yesterday along with the news that the JFK flight was being discontinued and TG was pulling out of NYC altogether. They are also considering flying the LAX flight with a technical stop to refuel on a different aircraft and selling off the A345's. Of course I don't know who would want to buy them these days.

I'm not sure I would want to be flying LAX-BKK since it arrives 6:40 AM. For me it's much easier to adjust arriving at night and being able to go straight to bed and get on Thai time as quickly as possible.

For sure if you are in Chicago or Eastern locales like DC it makes more sense to fly from there via NRT or SIN or HKG, etc than to go via LAX. If I were scheduled for this flight that's been canceled I would try to get them to put me on a partner with as good a routing as possible rather than letting them talk me into going via LAX and have to do some sort of red eye on the return.

Cleveland Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Thai Airways JFK - BKK Non Stop Possible Cancellation July 1

I'm in Cleveland and there are direct flights CLE-LAX. I just don't want return trip to be huge problem.

Here is link to article. It says TG is selling all 4 of its A-340-500's. I think it inaccurately says all 4 are for the JFK-BKK route. It says JFK is discontinued July 1:

nationmultimedia.com/2008/06/07/business/bus…

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
846 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thai Airways JFK - BKK Non Stop Possible Cancellation July 1

Wiseguy:

I would sit tight for a couple of days. According to the Flyertalk Forum, Thai is supposed to come up with alternative plans this Wednesday. Glen is correct that the LAX flight is going to five days. I would agree if you could get the LAX flight, you're probably better off. For us folks on the east coast it looks like we need to see what the JFK options are. Personally I'd be ok with the noon ANA flight via Narita that arrives at 9PM especially as it has a premium economy section. The LAX flight would probably work for the return and then a nonstop to JFK. I would suggest you monitor the Flyertalk Forum as those folks are pretty much on top of current events.

KKU
VA
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Thai Airways JFK - BKK Non Stop Possible Cancellation July 1

I've used my frequent mile award for this flight in July. Do you think Thai Airways will help reschedule the route for me in the same way as the paid ticket?

SP

Tokyo
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Thai Airways JFK - BKK Non Stop Possible Cancellation July 1

>>I've used my frequent mile award for this flight in July. Do you think Thai Airways will help reschedule the route for me in the same way as the paid ticket?<<

You might want to contact the airline that issued the award ticket ( maybe star alliance carrier such as UA?) instead of Thai Airways. They will very likely reroute your ticket to BKK if you tell the rep the reported TG's discontinuation of JFK-BKK non-stop flight.