We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed with Tour Guide IN Kanchanaburi??

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed with Tour Guide IN Kanchanaburi??

Hi Guys

I have posted in the Kanchanaburi forum but not really getting anywhere....

I am looking for a guide for a day to take us around the sights near Kanchanaburi, eg Hell Fire Pass but I am not having a lot of luck as most seem to want o depart only from Bangkok. We dont want to join a tour group rather a private guide.

We are going with Nui to the floating market, tiger temple on the first day and then a are being left in Kan for 2 nights. Instead of getting her to stay the night and be out guide the next day I thought it would be better to get someone local.....

Can anyone reccommend anyone in the area??

Greatly appreciated

Cheers

Chelle

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed with Tour Guide IN Kanchanaburi??

Hi Chelle,

You'll get lots of help here.

Maybe we just lucked out but we thought the hotel prices were to dear so we went out to the steet and asked a tuktuk driver. He said he could arrange a driver for the day, we went to Kanchanaburi, the war Memorial and the Bridge. Also the Tiger Temple, Have a look at my Bangkok JBR if you like.

We left early in the morning , nice car and driver but he could not speak much English, so we jokingly

asked the tuktuk driver , Pai, if he would come too. He then parked his tuktuk for the day and came with us . Those boys were so much fun and gave us the best day. Enen stopping to buy beers for Papa and keeping them cool in ice in a platic bag in the glove box lol.

Their price was 2500 or 3000 Baht, but we had such a good time in the end my husband gave them more.

Hotel's price was about 6 thousand, for a private tour.

Have Fun,Lindy.

South Oz
Level Contributor
25 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed with Tour Guide IN Kanchanaburi??

Hi Chelle

We did pretty much the same as Lindy. We walked the streets between the main Kanchanaburi Cemetery and the bridge and there were numerous places you could hire a car and driver to pick you up from your accommodation and visit places like Hellfire Pass. Doing it this way was many times cheaper than anything on offer at the motel. I'm sure you can't go too wrong in Kanchanaburi ........ they survive on tourism and I'm sure most treat their tourists very well.

Hope you have a wonderful time - I'm green with envy.

regards

Pam

South Oz
Level Contributor
25 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed with Tour Guide IN Kanchanaburi??

Ooops, I meant to tell you we hired Mac and Mee. The car was an old BMW and the driver spoke little English but all he had to do was drive us to Hellfire Pass and wait until we'd finished looking around. We were there a good couple of hours.

cheers

Pam

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed with Tour Guide IN Kanchanaburi??

Hi Pam

can you remember how much you paid to go out to hell fire pass?

we were looking at getting the train out to near Hell fire pass but we would need a car to pick us up from the train station and drive to Hell Fire Pass them drive us back to Kanchanaburi as we need to be back for a 4.30 pick up and the train wont have us back at that time,

not sure if there are drivers out there already or if we should organise one from Kan?

Cheers

Chelle

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed with Tour Guide IN Kanchanaburi??

Hi Chelle,

Didn't read your post right, I see now you will already be in Kanchanaburi, sorry,

Lindy.

Belfast
Level Contributor
148 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed with Tour Guide IN Kanchanaburi??

Hello Chelle,

The last time I stayed in Kanchanaburi I used a tour from the agents beside Apple Noi guesthouse in Kanchanaburi. Think they were called AS Mixed Travel. There was a choice of 1, 2, or 3 day tours operating from Kanchanaburi. We chose the one day tour which took us elephant trekking, rafting down the Kwai, Erawan waterfalls, museums etc etc. It was a brilliant day and very informative. Would highly recommend using them (although it has been four years since I went on the tour!) Hope this is of some help. If there's anything else I can help with, just let me know!

South Oz
Level Contributor
25 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help needed with Tour Guide IN Kanchanaburi??

Hi Chelle

We're pretty sure it cost 1200Bht. We thought this was pretty fair. There was no cost to enter the museum or do the walks at the Pass.

Hope this helps.

regards

Pam

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help needed with Tour Guide IN Kanchanaburi??

thanks all for your replies!

cheers

chelle

9. Re: Help needed with Tour Guide IN Kanchanaburi??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 13:20