We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How would you split 8 nights between Bangkok and Hong Kong?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
How would you split 8 nights between Bangkok and Hong Kong?

Would you spend more time in one place than the other? I'm looking for opinion from those who have visited both cities.

This is our first trip to these places. It's part of our 3-week trip to Asia next March that also includes 6 nights in Tokyo and 7 nights in Phuket.

Thanks.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How would you split 8 nights between Bangkok and Hong Kong?

This is a difficult one and I can only describe my own experience. From the UK to Australia, Hong Kong is usually used as a 3 night stopover as standard. Knowing that the 'standard' is never enough time for me as I like to see the places that are less touristy, I booked a 5 night return break using a special offer with my airmiles a couple of years ago.

I am not a shopper (good job as you could spend at least 3 days hitting the shops) but I still found that 5 nights was not enough and wished that I had gone for at least a week. There is so much more to Hong Kong than what you see in the movies.

When I went to Bangkok, it was part of a multi-centre itinerary (including KL and Borneo) and I had 4 nights at the start and another 4 at the end. This was just about enough to experience both the city and the surrounding attractions (such as Autthaya and Bridge over the River Kwai). I would definitely like to visit again as there is so much life that you would never get bored there.

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How would you split 8 nights between Bangkok and Hong Kong?

i don't think anyone can really answer this as it all comes down to your own preferences and which you take a liking to more. I had the same decision to make more than 15 years ago on one of my first long haul holidays and split it evenly. I've been back to HK a couple of times - on balance I find Bkk more interesting, it's definitely cheaper, has better bars and nightlife and I have a little difficulty sometimes accepting some of the chinese manners, or rather lack of them,when dealing with traders in HK. But in Hk a couple of trips on the star ferry, a trip up the peak, a wander around generally and maybe a day to Macau, fills up a few days pleasurably.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How would you split 8 nights between Bangkok and Hong Kong?

It is indeed difficult. I love both cities and usually spend up to a week in each each time I go. :)

Given your time frame, I would do: 5 in HK and 3 in BKK. You can do a 4/4 split if you'd like to do a day trip to Ayutthaya for some historical sights.

Anyway you split it, you probably won't go wrong. :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How would you split 8 nights between Bangkok and Hong Kong?

Personally, I would opt for more time in Hong Kong due to Macau being at your finger tips and is worth visiting/ exploring or staying for a few days.

Bangkok - 3 days.

Hong Kong - 3 days

Macau - 2 days.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How would you split 8 nights between Bangkok and Hong Kong?

I have been to both cities on a number of occasions and agree it is a hard question. Personally I would split it 4/4 (and whilst in HK a visit to MACAU is a must). Both cities are great and you will want to spend more time in both of them!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How would you split 8 nights between Bangkok and Hong Kong?

Based on your input and the research we did on our own, we've decided to take 1 night away from Phuket in order to have 3 nights to Bangkok, 4 in Hong Kong and 2 in Macau.

7. Re: How would you split 8 nights between Bangkok and Hong Kong?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 11:19