We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety in bangkok

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
42 reviews
Save Topic
safety in bangkok

hi, just wondering whether it will be safe for 2 girls to go travelling in bangkok on our own?

hopping in cabs on our own and going to places?

Texas
Level Contributor
278 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety in bangkok

It is safer than almost any other city its size. It still is a large city so just be careful with yourselves and your things. Also with any other city, after dark and late at night things become more dangerous. But you should be able to use the skytrain for most places and cabs are safe as they can be.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,863 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety in bangkok

If you manage to stay out of trouble, at home, you should be able to stay out of trouble in Bangkok.

Most of those that find problems in Bangkok probably could have avoided them.

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safety in bangkok

Hi,

I have been to Thailand on my own before and never felt the least bit threatened!!!

I would think you would take the same precautions

as you would in your home town.

Cheers lindy.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safety in bangkok

Use typical street smarts and you will have little to worry about. :)

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: safety in bangkok

Bangkok will probably be safer than some of your major cities in your own country! Take normal precautions that you would take back home when you are out late at night.

Read up on how to get taxi cabs from the airport and when in town. (Meter taxi cabs are cheaper than tuk-tuks if you insist that the driver use the meter!)Google up scams in Bangkok, especially tuk-tuk and gem scams. Be aware of your surroundings.

You can keep in tough with your family and friends by email, lots of internet shops all over the place. You can store "need to remember" information on the internet in email form. You can also save your flight itineraries and confirmation numbers in email form too!

Some women get in trouble when they meet guys overseas and immediately trust them with their hotel keys and other private information. Don't trust anyone who did not come over with you from back home!

On more than one occasion I have met "senior citizens" even at the spry age of 80 plus years having a ball in Thailand and feeling safe!

Good luck.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,863 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safety in bangkok

"Bangkok will probably be safer than some of your major cities in your own country!"

Since the original poster hails from Singapore, I think she's got us beat!

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safety in bangkok

Hi

I have walked around Bangkok quite a lot both day and night and I have felt pretty safe there. So I don't think you should have any problems :-) I have a trip report that I can share with you if you are interested. Send me a mail on gardkarlsen@hotmail.com andI'll send it to you. Have you decided on a hotel? That is one of the great things about Bangkok...you can get a great hotel for a very decent price. I just stayed at Sheraton on Sukhumwit and that was nice...and last year I stayed at Lebua and that was also great :-)

Regards

Gard

8. Re: safety in bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 09:23