We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plaza Athenee (Royal Meridien) to Pan Pacific Hotel -Walk?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
18 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Plaza Athenee (Royal Meridien) to Pan Pacific Hotel -Walk?

Hello- I am coming to Bangkok for the first time next week and staying at the Plaza Athenee (Royal Meridien) on Wireless Rd. I will be working at close to the Pan Pacific hotel on Rama IV Road. My co-worker and I plan to walk from the Athenee to our office. Can someone tell me if this is feasible or advisable? I think it's only about 2km but I don't know what to expect from a traffic/walking perspective. Any guidance would be apprecited.

Thanks in advance!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plaza Athenee (Royal Meridien) to Pan Pacific Hotel -Walk?

The walk is feasible and you can walk through Lumpinee Park to cut the corner off (see free maps available at the hotel or on web), however you will arrive extremely hot and perspiring, perhaps not the best way to start the business day!

If you walk by road and not via the park, you will find the pavements very uneven, the roads difficult to cross and the pollution most unpleasant.

I would get a taxi, for sure. About 60 baht depending on time of day.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plaza Athenee (Royal Meridien) to Pan Pacific Hotel -Walk?

2 Kms are not so bad. However, considering the fume and hot and humid weather, I am not so sure. By the time you get to your work place, you will be soaked with sweat.

colorado
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Plaza Athenee (Royal Meridien) to Pan Pacific Hotel -Walk?

Taxi there is cheap..

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
18 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plaza Athenee (Royal Meridien) to Pan Pacific Hotel -Walk?

thanks to all who responded. In the interest of simplicity, I think we're going to switch hotels and stay at the Pan Pacific?

I've heard the area is not as nice, however, avoid the traffic and perspiration issues, it seems like the right thing to do.

If anyone has any suggestions of things to do around the Pan Pacific Hotel on Rama IV Road. I'm very open to them as this is my first visit to Bangkok.

Thanks again.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,746 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plaza Athenee (Royal Meridien) to Pan Pacific Hotel -Walk?

I don't know anything about these two luxury hotels, but don't change your plans because of having to take a $2 taxi ride. No matter where your hotel is, there's really no problem getting around the city by taxi and public transportation.

The Pan Pacific is near the corner of Rama IV and Silom Road, handy to both MRT (subway) and BTS Skytrain stations and all the shopping, services and restaurants of Silom Road. You can be in minutes from there to any part of the central business district, and it's close to the river which is Bangkok's heart and soul.

The Plaza Athenee is close to the BTS Skytrain and to the malls and futuristic Skywalk, but I wouldn't say it's intrinsically a "better" district.

It would be rare to have to pay more than 100 baht ($3.50)for a taxi ride anywhere in central Bangkok. As others have noted above, it's best to use wheeled (an air conditioned!) transportation for any distance because of the heat and humidity. I tend to use motorcycle taxis for short distances, but that's an acquired taste. :)

6. Re: Plaza Athenee (Royal Meridien) to Pan Pacific Hotel -Walk?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 12:19