We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok Protests

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manila
4 posts
Save Topic
Bangkok Protests

Hi! I'm going to Bangkok next week. Just want to know from people who are in Bangkok if it's safe to travel? I will be going around mostly in the shopping district.

Thanks!

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok Protests

There are lots of threads about this on the main Thailand forum.

Right now, its not a problem, and everyone hopes it won't become one. Most protests have been peaceful and violence is unlikely. Even when coups have taken place, you might never know it without watching TV, but there is no knowing the future.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok Protests

But i sure hope it finds an end soon. I mean it probably is quite ok to travel around and all..but you still always sense that aura of "fear"? or maybe not fear but some sort of weird feeling that is around the country at the moment. This just really needs to be sorted out!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,417 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok Protests

The Thammasat University campus has a monument dedicated to peaceful demonstration.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok Protests

I live in Bangkok and I only know abiout it because I watch the news........

Unless you go to one or two specific places everything is normal.

Don't worry.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,910 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok Protests

As above. Even if there were violent demonstrations(I don't really count the scuffles that occured on Friday) tourists are extrememly unlikely to be in the vicinity of them....unless the P.A.D."s strategy were to disrupt tourism specifically- and that would one dumb move on their part. (yes, I know about Phuket,Krabi and had yai airports, disruptive sure, but not violent). A coup? Very unlikely I say. More likely, and typical of the present admunistration ,would be to dissolve the parliament, hold new elections (their party being under a different name of course and, we are back to square one!). I do not see any coalition between the "pro-Thaksin" people and the democratic party at all. I feel the majority of us here, locals and others, are just plain fed up with all this. What happens regarding Thaksin and his family regarding asylum or extradition will give a clearer picture of the future political course of the country.

manila
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok Protests

Hi! good to hear that it's generally peaceful in Bangkok. i'm going there on wednesday this week with my family. would like to know the weather there right now? is it raining? thanks!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok Protests

To ppl staying in Bangkok, are there any road blocks of any sort?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok Protests

The roadblocks are near the demonstration areas and thsoe are near the government offices. Usually a tourist will not be anywhere near those areas.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangkok Protests

The protests are at the government offices on Ratchadamnoen Nok Street near Dusit Palace. This is the centre of government administration. Most Government departments are located around this area.

For now In guess it's safe to assume ...it's O.K. in the main shopping areas. All though I read online tourists should avoid central Bangkok? But I believe this was when the protesters barricaded Phuket, Haad Yai and Krabbi Airport runways a couple of days a go.

Keep watching the news or read about the latest Bangkok Protests online.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
7 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bangkok Protests

I think by next week you will find that everything will have come to a head by then.

Roads have now been blocked and airport has closed today.

I would not be changing anything at this stage, this will not be allowed to continue as is, for much longer.

Overall there is no threat to tourists, it is the politcal demonstrators that are at logger heads. Just stay out of the area's.

Personally I beleive there military will step in very soon now, to what extent Im unsure (like everyone)

I think there is a high chance of another coup with in days, that is only my opion.

Even saying this, it is still not dangerous generally for travellers. Thailands tourism is there main revenue. If nothing else, there should be some good deals for accomidation to be made, as the strong Thai Baht coupled with the political unrest is hurting the economy no end at the moment.