We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Protests and Airport...

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Protests and Airport...

I'm due to fly there in 4 weeks. I'm wondering how long this can last? But I guess there's no way to tell.

I have to pay for my ticket by Sept 22. After reading the most recent post (online... a few hours a go) from a newspaper there, I'm wondering if I should take out Insurance on my ticket in case I have to cancel. Dam! I don't usually bother with insurance because I never plan on cancelling any flights. I wonder what the airline's (Japan Airways) take on that would be without Insurance?

YIKES! *Any suggestions or experience with this that you could share would be great, right now.

This is the most recent post from a newspaper in Bangkok...

BANGKOK -- Thailand's besieged government is struggling to defuse a political crisis after waves of anti government protests spread beyond the country's capital, forcing closures of several regional airports and disrupting rail services.

The escalating political confrontation threatens to destabilize the popularly elected government of Thai Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej and could begin to undermine the country's economy, especially the vital tourism sector, which is vulnerable to any prolonged disruption of air travel.

On Sunday, Mr. Samak insisted he wouldn't resign, despite five days of demonstrations in which right-wing protesters seized the government's headquarters as part of their campaign to revamp ...

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Protests and Airport...

Suvanarnabhumi Airport is unlikely to be closed as it is too important. There are renewed threats to close other airports. While the country is virtually ungovernable, it is not an issue affecting tourists at this time, apart from some difficulty with internal travel.

The best resources for updated information are:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com (fastest updates)

http://www.bangkokposr.com

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,658 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Protests and Airport...

They would crack heads before Swampy ever was closed. One thing about Thai(s) mess with their dosh, and things will soon come to the head. Oct is usually the month that coups occur. :D

If you booked airline tix w/credit card - you are protected at any rate. :)

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Protests and Airport...

Hottoffee do you seriously never take travel insurance? That is the craziest thing I've ever heard. Flight cancellation is a very small part of what could go wrong on a trip, I would never set foot on a plane without comprehensive travel insurance for the trip.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Protests and Airport...

Hey everyone... thank-you guys for your support! I'm sweating bullets here! (Trying not to worry but ...)

Yes athtrasna, I have bought travel insurance but only the first time (years a go) to Thailand. Been back several times since. I have always used Cathay and received automatic, complimentary insurance if the plane goes down.

But the downside is this complimentary insurance does not apply to ticket cancellation as it's a freebie. There's a $250.US cancellation charge with Cathay, so I've always taken the risk. I do pay with a credit card so if the airline ever went bankrupt I'd automatically get my money back. And of course, I always buy medical insurance. ...For the most part, (until now) that sounds pretty well thought out to me.

I tend to think every-thing's fine on my end but I haven't thought much about the other end. (Bangkok.)

It's my normal to travel peak season and the areas I go to have always been smooth sailing. And by the way... I happen to be one of those rare people who love Bangkok. (...I was just there 7 months.)

As per usual, several months a go I booked my flight... actually on 5 different airlines (thanks to my fab travel agent, of course.) I pick the airline at the same time I pay, about 5 weeks before I fly. I can add on any extras when I pay.

Speaking of which... does anyone know how far in advance "cancellation" Japan Airways requires? Than again I guess if you have insurance it shouldn't matter. Does anyone know if there are any stipulations??

I'm seeing it differently this time as I don't usually travel in October. I'm always a basket case the month prior to Thailand. It's part of the Thailand ritual and excitement that never dies for me! (...I know you understand this.)

Unlikely but on the off chance that Suvarnabhmi airport encounters any problems, I might need to book a different flight home? (Who knows what's going to happen next?) You know how it is... cancellation insurance is an extra $100.US) OUCH! EEKS!

Hate to part with it as you all know how far $100.US goes in Thailand. Oh well, I'm almost ready to surrender. ... I guess it wouldn't be a bad thing to spend the extra 100.US to minimize the stress level, huh.

I'm picturing Army Tanks rolling down the streets and the Army armed with machine guns everywhere. I guess this is no time to hold back the funds.<GRIN> (And yes, I've seen coup videos on u-tube.)

Hmm... Adding to that, it's urgent that I'm in Chiang Mai the 1st week in Oct. (I have appointments there.) I'm booked on AirAsia. I haven't allowed any extra days between appointments.

The good news is AirAsia flies out of Suvarnabhumi Airport. Less chance of a problem there, huh. PHEW!

Get back to me...! Thanks a bunch!

ireland
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Protests and Airport...

Hello HotToffee. One thing you might want to watch on your insurance policy - I was just checking out ours in case we too might have to cancel :( - you may not be covered for civil unrest etc. publicised at the time of taking out the policy - we're not so read your small print!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Protests and Airport...

Thanks so much garyjan,

"Civil Unrest," huh. Of course... good tip. And I wouldn't of thought of that either. I guess you have to have a valid reason to cancel other than the usual death in family or sickness.

Buckeye Country
Level Contributor
218 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Protests and Airport...

Any insurance is issued with the odds stacked in favor of the house just like in Vegas, that's how they make money.

I liken travel insurance to be the same as "extended warranty" protection on products. Hardly ever comes into play and with most insurance, fine print usually negates coverage for many of the situations that occur quite regularly, thus coverage is available for only those things happening that are statistically minuscule.

As other posters have said, if you do your homework before and purchase your tickets with credit cards and/or through certain places that offer such coverage through their "normal service offerings", no need for travel insurance as it is just gravy for the issuer.

The only exception is when one has no health insurance, it isn't expensive to get a good AIG "travel guard" policy for very little as primary health protection. One small motorcycle accident (as long as you're not competing in a sporting event racing cycles) and you more than recover your premium. It does also cover non-health related things such as delays, lost baggage and etc. but I didn't purchase it for that. I would never purchase travel insurance if I didn't need the medical coverage aspect.

Regards,

Martian

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Protests and Airport...

Your travel insurance won't cover you if you cancel a booking of a ticket which clearly states that there is no refund if you pay by cc or not. Cathay has many such tickets. Many companies don't cover 100 % either. You will always have to pay something. There has to be a very good and proven reason before they pay up.

Unless Irish companies are more generous than in the rest of Europe.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Protests and Airport...

Brother-in-law & wife fly out to Bangkok this evening - as far as I can see there are no problems at the airport...how about travel to Pattaya as that's their final destination? Any problems en-route. Probably will help that his wife is Thai national so she should be able to get around any travel problems...

Ireland
Level Contributor
223 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Protests and Airport...

I'm concerned by Britmaveric's comment of coups normally happen in October... I am due to trvael to Thailand on honeymoon in October, we fly into Suvarnabhumi on Tues7th October and stay 1 night at the century park hotel before travelling onto Ko Samui for 2weeks. What would people advise if this unrest is to continue??

What about changing our hotel to the novotel at the airport so we don't have to travel into the city?

Is it likely that any unrest could spread to islands such as Samui?

Thankyou for your time!

Barry