We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Chiang Mai from Bangkok?

USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day trip to Chiang Mai from Bangkok?

I only have 3 days in Bangkok but really want to visit Chiang Mai. I'm thinking of taking a cheap flight (AirAsia, NokAir) up and back on the same day, but am wondering if this would be good enough to at least see some of the city and the famous Wat there? I don't mind a long travel day and was thinking of catching a 9am flight out of BKK or DonMuaeng (old airport) and then a 9 or 10pm flight back from Chiang Mai.

Does this sound feasible? I will be able to see other parts of Thailand on other days (Kanchanaburi, etc), so what I'm particularily interested in is how to fit in Chiang Mai.

Thanks for any thoughts you can share.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Chiang Mai from Bangkok?

Yes, doable.

The flight will be from Survanbhoomi and will take 1 hour. See if theres an earlier flight and plan out everything that you want to do.

No meter taxis in Chiang mai though, maybe the best bet is to see if you can join a day tour.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
420 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Chiang Mai from Bangkok?

I do not think Asia or NOk Air can accommodate you !!

YOu can take Thai Airways as early as 6am and come back last flight around 10pm. You have to be very well plan on the arrange tour operator to assist you.

Kanchanaburi is also doable but much more tired. Driving from BKK to Kanchanburi will take 2 hrs already but the interesting point are scatter with another half an hour to one hour drive from Kanchanburi town. For Chiang Mai, most of interesting temple and cultural area are located around the city.

Good luck !!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Chiang Mai from Bangkok?

AirAsia fly several times a day to Chiang Mai. Early flight departs BKK at 0645hrs and last flight reurns 2040hrs. Flight time a little over 1 hr.

You will have time to go to Doi Suthep temple and a look around the city. Perhaps contact a guesthouse in Chiang Mai and ask thenm to arrange a driver meet you at the airport with your timeframe in mind.

You can do a day trip from BKK which will take in the floating markets, war museums, River Kwaii and the Tigers. It is a long day departing BKK at 7am and returning about 7pm.

Pics and stories of our trips here... www.thebobmarsh.com

USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Chiang Mai from Bangkok?

Thank you everyone! I'm off to find a tour or guide & driver now and looking forward to seeing Chiang Mai :)

5. Re: Day trip to Chiang Mai from Bangkok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 20:16