We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sending stuff back to the U.S.A.

Level Contributor
576 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sending stuff back to the U.S.A.

I'm going to be backpacking in Thailand for a month and plan on doing most of my BKK shopping at the beginning of the trip. I was wondering if anyone has any tips/advice/thoughts on shipping some of my purchases back to the United States.

Is this something that is commonly done? Will the post office have boxes and packing supplies? Is it expensive? Can anyone recommend a post office in the Sukhumvit or the Banglamphu

areas? Tips on how to make this efficient and easy? Thanks!!

Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sending stuff back to the U.S.A.

I've mailed stuff back from Chiang Mai, via postal service, and it arrived safe and sound about 3 weeks later. There were options of land/air or air. The air was more expensive than the land/air option. We used the land/air option. We just asked at our hotel for the nearest postal station. They were small little postal stations located inside shops selling souvenirs. They all had packing equipment and boxes. There were several within a mile of our hotel.

Hope that helps some.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sending stuff back to the U.S.A.

It depends how much weight.

The cheapest way for a few kilos will be the normal post service based on BOAT shipping (surface). Yes it will take a few weeks to arrive, but it's half the price.

For instance 10 kilos will cost about 1,800 baht.

See www.thailandpost.com

Level Contributor
2,108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sending stuff back to the U.S.A.

I used the post office next to the Majestic suite

on Sukhumvit road for sending stuff back USA.

They have all boxes and packing supply for purchases .The cost to send merchandise Air freight

is 6 usd. per lb. which is cheap.

Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
19,023 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sending stuff back to the U.S.A.

If you've got a lot to ship, it's best to go to the GPO, the main post office on Charoen Krung (aka New Road) not far from the Oriental Hotel, and near a Chao Phraya River Express pier. The GPO has a very reasonably-priced and good packing service.

There's also a good post office just off Ratchadamnoen Avenue in Banglamphu, in its own soi (called Soi Post Office of course) just behind Macdonalds at Democracy Monument.

And another post office is on Sukhumvit near the Landmark Hotel. There's yet another right beside the Thonglor BTS station at soi 36.

Surface-only takes about six weeks to arrive, but it's by far the cheapest option.

You could also store your stuff at Bangkok Self Storage for 100 baht per piece per week and then fly it back with you, if the issue is just that you don't want to drag it around with you during your trip. Depending on how much you buy, and your weight allowance, that could be the cheapest and safest solution of all.

5. Re: Sending stuff back to the U.S.A.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 20:23