We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What type of street food is can't miss!!

Seattle
Level Contributor
576 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What type of street food is can't miss!!

Just looking for tips from people on what type of street food is can't miss in Bangkok and Thailand in general. Are there any foods that people go back for again and again because it tastes so darn good?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What type of street food is can't miss!!

Hi;

The Best street foods that I can find in Bangkok are around lower soi Sukhumvit road at night and several thousand tourists eating on the side walks.

I like the chicken BBQ fresh cook right on the spot and the cost is 20baht per each stick . I never missed the food my last 3x in Bangkok and for good measure I shall be for more Thai's street foods in

November, 2008.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What type of street food is can't miss!!

It's hard to recommend hawker food as we don't know your tase buds, but as it is so cheap just try it all :)

Like the previous poster we always go the BBQ chicken, but I like it all. Remember, if it is cooked in a roaring wok right in front of you it will be fine to eat.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What type of street food is can't miss!!

If you pass by anyone grilling, just about anything, it's usually a safe bet. Thais do some tasty marinades, and hot-off-the-grill is always a good idea.

Try to have some khao mun kai (chicken rice). It comes with a spicy sauce that you pour over it according to your heat tolerance. Kaiton, at soi 30 Petchaburi Road, is a good place to try it.

Here are some of my specific suggestions:

http://cheapeatsbangkok.com

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What type of street food is can't miss!!

Try Khao Moo Dang - red pork on rice. Its only available on the street (usually) and most foreigners seem to like it.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,242 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What type of street food is can't miss!!

Somtam, fresh papaya salad.

Ask for Somtam Thai and tell them mai ped (not spicy) or neng prik (1 chilli).

My favourite is Bak Mee Moo Deang, which is red/BBq pork with yellow noodles.

Buriram, Thailand
Level Contributor
741 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What type of street food is can't miss!!

Suggest you move away from the tourist spots such as Sukhumvit and walk around. You'll see the mobile stalls everywhere. Don't be shy to ask what things are. It may involve sign language but it's a good laugh and the stall sellers will laugh with you (not at you). Try everything you see!!!! Only one piece of obvious advice.....go for the stuff that is cook while you wait (as opposed to that which has been sitting on the broiler for an hour already!).

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What type of street food is can't miss!!

My favorite ba mee is from the ba mee lady at Aw Taw Kaw market. Everything is freash made, right down to her noodles.

Aw Taw Kaw is a great spot to sample lots of different Thai snacks and desserts. It is easily reached by taking the MRT (subway) to the Kamphaengphet stop, then exiting through gate #3.

cheapeatsbangkok.com/photos/thai/atk6.jpg

cheapeatsbangkok.com/photos/…ba_mi_lady1.jpg

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What type of street food is can't miss!!

Something else you won't find in the Pacific Northwest (possibly illegal!) is nang kai thod, fried chicken skins.

They're not too common, but worth a try if you come across them. Quite decadent, but mighty tasty!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,242 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What type of street food is can't miss!!

Yes, fried chicken skin with some khao neow (sticky rice) make sure you get the dipping sauce.

The deep fried, sun dried pork/beef is very good too. You see the raw sundried meat hanging from a wire on the carts. Tell the seller you want one and he/she will deep fry it for you on the spot. Yummy yummy.

PaoPao are good, but those are mainly in the early mornings.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What type of street food is can't miss!!

Hi Mateo

not sure about in bangkok , but when you are in Phuket.. banana pancakes!! they are just YUM!! great at night walking back to your hotel!!

Cheers

Chelle

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand