We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Songkran 2009

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
7 posts
Save Topic
Songkran 2009

My fiancee and i will be in Bangkok from 10 to 16 April 2009 and note that we will be there over Songkran. What can we expect to see at Songkran?

Does anyone know if Bangkok shuts down over Songkran or will there still be the touristy things to do and tours be operating?

Thanks in advance.

Nicholas

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Songkran 2009

Bring a towel and a plastic bag for the camera and enjoy the fun.

Everything else will be as normal.

Sydney
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Songkran 2009

You could not have planned a better time to be in Bangkok!!! My husband and I have been to Songkran the last 2 years in a row and are just about to book the trip for 2009.

As a tourist it is possible to avoid Songkran all together so you barely even know it is happening or (as I would highly reccommend) throw yourself into the middle of it and spend 3 days partying with the locals. Remember out of control water fights when you were a child, water pistols, sprinkers and hoses, etc, yep, that is Songkran festival :)

As far as I have noticed nothing touristy seems to shut down. All tours seem to still run and shopping centres all appear unaffected.

Songkran is an awesome experience. I reccommended you plan your sight seeing around Songkran and keep the festival days free to just enjoy.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Songkran 2009

Is there a day of the festival that is the bigger waterfight of the 3 days?

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Songkran 2009

wonderful time to visit Bangkok!

say goodbye to a heavy traffic, BKK will be a ghost town for awhile. most Bangkokians will flock to somewhere else

but can go to Khao San road or Silom area if you want to have a great(childish) fun

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Songkran 2009

What is the actual date for Songkran in 2009? Is it always April 16?

Belgium
Level Contributor
616 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Songkran 2009

This year it is 13 - 14 - 15 April.

It is a public holiday in Thailand.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,596 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Songkran 2009

Although some will celebrate on different specific dates, Songkran is always April 13~15. Silom is one of the better areas of Bangkok to celebrate.

Songkran is one of the few times you will have an opportunity to join with the Thais on a more personal level. Everyone lets their hair down a bit.

Being a farang during this period is kind of like having a huge bullseye painted on your shirt. Everyone wants to soak and powder the foreigner!

Be sure to protect anything that might be damaged by water. You will get wet.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Songkran 2009

HI

Curt is right you will have a bullseye on you but it is all in good fun,

be sure and leave western revenge feelings at home.

what I mean is. the first time you get smacked in the face with powder than have a bucket of cold water thrown on you you might want to fight or hit someone LOL don't do it. It is all in good fun and for Thai's the pouring of water is good luck especially if they do to farangs. no one is attacking you personally. the first hr my first time i was a little mad then I got into it and had a blast you can also get as much beer as you do water. during one water fight festival I was in the back of a truck with my thai family. getting nailed with water but every one was offering me beer also.

so I would jump out of truck run get beer then back in truck to go attack someone else.

they now make special water proof bags for your camera either get one or leave your camera at home.

If you don't want to get wet stay away from big water fights and then politey tell anyone who might look like they are going to throw water to please not

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Songkran 2009

Great fun time, but before travelling to Thailand for the Songkran Festival, take a few minutes on Google to read up on its significance to Thais in a cultural sense.

Now it is only known to tourists as a time to have a water fight. They say ignorance is bliss!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Songkran 2009

I was in BKK during Songkran this year. For some reason, I keep on thinking that it was on April 16. The fact that Songkran will be on April 13-15 is great. Hopefully next Songkran will be as much as this year's.