We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Question Same Old Question

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Another Question Same Old Question

Hi all,

I know questions about apt rentals have been asked too many times prior. I searched and did my homework using this TA forum but still have some lingering questions. Please be patient with me.

I am again looking for an apt for my up and coming trip to BKK at the beginning of 2009. I am looking for a decent rental. I have been to Centre Pointe and it was very nice.

The cost is not unreasonable. However, part of the cost is the "serviced" portion, which includes daily cleaning and linen change etc.

My question: is it possible to rent a place without the "serviced" portion? Reasons being-will cost less. At the same time, I am not a messy person therefore I can do the cleaning myself. Furthermore, the idea of renting an apartment is to live as a native. Daily maid cleaning seems a bit much for me to handle.

Alternatively, where can one rent (3 months) a nicely furnished astudio pt similar to Centre Pointe but without the "serviced" portion?

Many thanks in advance.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Question Same Old Question

Almost all 'short rentals' are serviced - that's where the money is made.

Longer rentals are usually from 6 months up, although a few cheaper apartments will do 3 months.

I suggest you go to www.bangkokbag.com

They have a section indicating which cheap apartments do short rentals.

They give web addresses and phone numbers also.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Question Same Old Question

Hi Andy,

I actually have the "Bangkok Budget Apartment Guide". I got it at Kinokuniya on my past trip to BKK. I browsed the book but nothing has jumped out at this point. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,901 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Question Same Old Question

What is your budget range. Most serviced apartments can be considered "long stay" hotels.

Depending on your comfort level and budget, there are lots to choose from.

I have stayed at The Citadines, Centrepoint (petchaburi), Tango and PR Place.

Tango is newish - 20-30k http://www.tangobkk.com/home.htm

And if you want almost Thai style with no frills.

PR Place http://prplacebangkok.com/index.php Stayed there years ago. I think they just did a reno.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,996 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Question Same Old Question

I stayed in Boss Tower on Rama IV for a couple months a while back. Unlike the Centre Point properties which are really luxury hotels with apartment-like features, Boss Tower is a real apartment building where people live, which also rents out suites by the night, week or month.

It's not as luxurious as Centre Point, but the building is well-run and the suites, although not stylish, are clean and well furnished. It has a nice big pool, and a not-very-good gym. For rentals of over two months, you can choose serviced or not serviced. The cleaning wasn't daily anyway; they came in every 2 or 3 days.

It's not ideal transportation-wise, but it's at the foot of Sukhumvit soi 36, so you can be at the BTS in about 5 minutes on a motorcycle taxi. There's a nearby Carrefour Superstore with its accompanying mall and fast-food chains and a similar Tesco right across the street. There's plenty of street food nearby too.

I'm sure there are plenty of other buildings, but this one turned out to be convenient and also honest. They were 100 percent careful about the return of our deposits at the end of our stay.

We also looked at some other buildings on Soi Langsuan, near Chitlom. You should check there as well. One of them had very nice apartments, but no pool.

The best thing is to go to Bangkok, check in to a hotel or Centre Point and then have a look around. There's no need to pre-book these places.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Question Same Old Question

Yes, Boss Tower is also in the Bangkokbag.com guide

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Question Same Old Question

Serviced doesn't mean they wait on you hand and foot.

I live in a serviced place on a permanent basis. House keeping is a general complaint from all 'permanents' in our building.

Many serviced places only clean every other day or change sheets and towels every 3 days, some don't clean on weekends.

Cape House is not a bad place and service is absolute minimum.

From my experience maids only do as much or as little as they can get away with.

Best is to look at a few places when you get to BKK and then make up your mind.

I made the mistake once of booking ahead.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Question Same Old Question

Jemima,

I know what you are saying about service. I don't expect them to wait on me etc. To me, the "serviced" to me is more of an annoyance than help.

I really something nicely furnished like Centre Point without the "serviced" portion. The search continues.

8. Re: Another Question Same Old Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 02:20