We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thailand safe for American family travel?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Thailand safe for American family travel?

We would like to start planning a trip to Bangkok, Chang Mai, Chang Rai, and the southern part of Thailand for 2009. Are there any areas to avoid or should we just wait another year before considering going at all? Are any Americans going to Thailand?

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thailand safe for American family travel?

Americans have the same risk in Thailand as every other nationality - minimal. Thailand (despite the recent problems) is still safer than any US city for visitors.

The only trouble spots are:

1) A very tiny part of Bangkok which is outside the interest of tourists

2) The deep southern provinces of Yala, Pattani, Narathiwas (bordering Malaysia) which are not safe. But are a long way away from any area tourists are likely to visit.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
520 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thailand safe for American family travel?

Just back from Thailand and it was fine for us Kiwis (New Zealand) so cant see why there would be a problem for Americans. We had a awesome time in Bangkok, Chani Mai Hua hin and Phuket. The Thais are really lovely people, welcoming to everybody!!!

Be brave and start planning

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,901 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thailand safe for American family travel?

Why would it be especially dangerous for Americans???

Afterall Obama won and you guys are loved again :)

Like the other posters wrote. You will not be singled out. Avoid the hotspots, government house area in BKK and the deep south near the M'sian border and everything will be fine.

OR just say you are Canadian.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
520 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thailand safe for American family travel?

Good on you Mmonkie why do Americans think they are different to everyone else!!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,596 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thailand safe for American family travel?

" ... why do Americans think they are different to everyone else"

Anyone who spends any time reading internet boards should have a feeling why Americans might have a sense that they might be resented. Fortunately, most people are able to realize that we are not our government.

As an American, living in Bangkok, I feel no resentment by the locals. In fact, many enjoy meeting Americans.

My only nasty encounters have been with Canadian tourists.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thailand safe for American family travel?

I'd say you are safer in Thailand than in Mexico!

Mmonkie - **OR just say you are Canadian.** ummmm... maybe not.

Although, the Thai's do like folks from "Can-na-daaa."

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thailand safe for American family travel?

Oh, Curt - I missed the end of your post. Now why would you go and have a nasty encounter with a Canadian? I'm sure he/she must have appologized and accepted all responsibility - it's what we're known for! Unless, maybe it was a Canadian wannabe.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thailand safe for American family travel?

I've heard a lot more of the American accent lately in Chiang Mai, spoke to one couple and they said it was well worth the 16 hours to get here, they were loving it. They had been all over and they didnt make mention of any problems.

Boston, United...
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Thailand safe for American family travel?

Hi,

I would have thought we Brits had most to fear since our gov turned the ex Thai PM and wife away? We're still coming to Bangkok in about 4 weeks time.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thailand safe for American family travel?

Thanks for most of your opinions. I think we will wait a little longer before we plan our trip. Thailand is one of our favorite countries in the world, and we look forward to our visit.

I can't help but comment on the other remarks. My fellow American Curtis1591 hit the nail on the head. I just have to ignore all the snide remarks and criticisms on lots of the forums. I have traveled all over the world and have seen just as many obnoxious, rude, loud, know-it-all tourists from many different Western countries. I think Americans get blamed for all the bad behavior of any English speaking countries.