We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats the airport going to be like after it's all settled?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
564 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Whats the airport going to be like after it's all settled?

Just curious what everyone thinks about what the airport will be like after the protest ends? I'm still holding out hope that I'll be able to keep my flight on Dec. 3rd (Wednesday). But with the crush of tourists will the airport be able to handle it? How many hours before my flight should I arrive? I read in a BKK newspaper that said 100,000 tourists are stranded and that figure might double or triple.

I'm in Phuket now and am going to have to make a big decision tomorrow whether or not to go to BKK or fly out of the country via Phuket and find my own way home. Any thoughts? Tips? Advice?

Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Whats the airport going to be like after it's all settled?

Hey Mateo,

Depending on your flight carrier back to the states, you may end up flying out of that naval airbase, U-tapao. If not, it seems that people are being re-routed...granted you need to find a way to get there, for example Phuket to Singapore to Los Angeles.

I am planning to go back towards the end of December. I already had my international ticket paid for as well as hotels and domestic air fares months ago, totaling over $1600 US easily. This is a trip that I've been planning and looking forward to for nearly a year now. I hope these demonstrations end soon or at least MOVE away from the airports.

Check out this link from The Nation.

nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/read.php…

Supposedly, the PAD are planning to end the conflict before the King's birthday. I'll hold my breathe until I arrive in the kingdom myself. ;)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whats the airport going to be like after it's all settled?

Sorry for the people who have paid for the trip but to whoever is planning to go in the near future, please dont.

Forget about Thailand. Briefly, just look how the tourists are being taken care from this incident. Ask the tourists who have been stranded for the past few days for their comment. Will they ever come back? What for? There are many other places to go. The world is big.

Seattle
Level Contributor
564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Whats the airport going to be like after it's all settled?

Hey Tiger-

Thanks for the info. Where did you hear about the possibility of being flown out of U-tapao? Also, is there a internet resource that states which carriers are considering this? I'm flying with United Airlines.

NSW Australia
Level Contributor
694 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whats the airport going to be like after it's all settled?

I wouldn't hold my breath for the airport to be open. We are part of the stranded and wonder if we will ever get home. The politics of this situation is almost unbelievable to us.

We were going to be put on a flight today from the Naval airport only to receive a call to say that fuel supply was a problem and our flight was being cancelled to avoid an unnecessary trip all the way there only to have to come back because of the flight cancellation.

Its not knowing when you are going to go that's the worse thing for us, we are comfortable in a nice hotel but our lives are on hold waiting for news and after all we just want to get home. We have been told to stay at our hotel and don't like to go out in case that call comes through. Actually just to know it could be a certain date would ease the worry but it's just a joke at the moment.

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
293 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whats the airport going to be like after it's all settled?

Lambtravel,

You took the words right out of my mouth as that's exactly what I would say. I'll be in HK next year, looking forward to visiting your country as I got back last week from Thailand and not planning on returning there anytime soon.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,986 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whats the airport going to be like after it's all settled?

Mateo, I posted info here on U-Tapao yesterday: http://tinyurl.com/66dd9o

It's a military airfield without many facilities and it's limited as to how many flights it can handle.

You had better contact your airline directly about whether they're flying in there.

There's no central website with that sort of info. The TAT site http://www.tourismthailand.org should be a central clearing site for all info, but it's a mess, still advertizing Lantern Festivals.

TAT is running some phone hotlines. I have no idea what good they are. Don't get your hopes up.

02-253-8814

02-253-5500

06-652-8813

06-652-8814

If it were me, and I had a deadline to get home, I'd try to get on one of those flights out of Phuket, and worry about trying to get a refund from UA later. Depends on your personal circumstances.

Personally, I think they'll get the airports open again by the King's Birthday, Dec. 5, but Suvarnabhumi has probably been trashed and it will take months before it's running properly again.

California
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Whats the airport going to be like after it's all settled?

Hey Lamb,

The idea of never going back to Thailand is not an option for me because I'm Thai and I have extended family and friends there who I visit on a yearly basis.

:)

Tokyo
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Whats the airport going to be like after it's all settled?

In case UA doesn't operate to and from U-tapao even temporarily during the closure of Suvarnabhumi Airport, you might consider flying out of Singapore Changi. They have a scheduled daily flight from there to NRT.

I contacted UA Tokyo the day before, and they say they won't impose administrative fees incurred to a flight change or rerouting on the passengers supposed to flying into and out of Bangkok during the designated period in relation to this mess. The ticket needs to have been issued on or before 25th Nov. You need to pay for transport from Phuket to Singaore though.

Anyway, contact UA by yourself. They may give you favorable treatment.

WIsh you a good luck.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Whats the airport going to be like after it's all settled?

Hi Lambtravel,

I agree. I've paid in full ($4,000) for my trip to Thailand which is supposed to be from this Thursday 4th Dec. I've been saving all year for this trip and am gutted by what's happening. I just can't believe that the authorities are allowing it to happen.

Tomorrow I'm going to my travel agent to cancel and try to rebook for Hong Kong instead. I don't know if I'll be able to get any money back but I'm determined to get away. I've had an extremely harrowing year and really need a break so if I have to go into hock, so be it.

I can't imagine the authorities in Hong Kong or Singapore letting this kind of thing happen there. Those destinations are very tourist friendly and I feel very appreciated there when I visit.

I feel very sorry for the average Thai person but in the future I'm spending my money in countries where the law is enforced and I feel safe and welcome.

Kind regards,

Sue

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Whats the airport going to be like after it's all settled?

Hope you managed to cancel the trip with ur tour agent Sue and most importantly get refund. Enjoy your next trip which I believed you'll feel safer. Countries like Singapore, Malaysia / HK is safe. People there usually are warm. Politically wise, well.... I think so much better than ........

Hi tiger2517, what do you think actually of the PAD supporters? Do you think if they take over the government there will be no corruption?

Looks like we think alike albutt27. Cheers!! & thanks