We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is anyone planing on going to Thailand in March 09

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
is anyone planing on going to Thailand in March 09

due to this political unrest and the new travel warning on the Australian Smart Traveller website im not sure if i should be going to thailand or not. Have 2 nights booked in Bangkok and then 11 nights in Koh Samui. Im not here to ask if i should be going but am wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation heading to Thailand in March 09? i am concerned cause if they are thinking of elections around then i will be nervous as hell to go and dont think ill be going.. im so pi*sed off about all this crap.. ive been dreaming of returing to thailand since i went two years ago!!! and now it seems like i may not even go :(

Thailand
Level Contributor
815 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: is anyone planing on going to Thailand in March 09

Perhaps Thailand should hand out travel warnings to every Western country that endures a bit of unrest and a couple of fatalities.

No, really, if you adhered to every travel warning you would never go anywhere! I'm in Bangkok now and have been for the past 10 years and can promise you foreign tourists (besides the airports of course!) havent been affected at all! Don't worry a single bit!

London, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is anyone planing on going to Thailand in March 09

im not generally a sucker to travel warnings however since the PAD was sucessful in overtaking a international airport that has screwed hundreds of thousands of tourists no one is sure what they are capable of next.. if there is no election i probably wouldnt worry and come, but if there is i could just imagine bigger and possibly more violent protests next time.. plus i read you cant even drink booze when elections are on cause its illegal to sell! doesnt seem like much fun going when an election is on!

Hawaii
Level Contributor
219 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is anyone planing on going to Thailand in March 09

I am planning on going to Thailand in March and spending a large portion of the time in Bangkok. Like you I'm a little nervous but really IMHO any time you are travelling to any foreign country you are taking the risk anything can happen. I am curious to see how the world react as far as anxiety now about going to Thailand to reacting to the fact that basically people were being held hostage when the people who were on vacations were held back against their will when most of them probably had to return to their home towns to take care of their own responsibilities from family to work.

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
173 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is anyone planing on going to Thailand in March 09

i hv booked the air tickets to bangkok just b4 the political unrest incident recently. travelling end march 09. if the situation is really bad at that point of time, will forego the trip. return airfare is rm145 from airasia.

Cairns
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is anyone planing on going to Thailand in March 09

Hi hellojoe3,

I too was planning a family holiday to Bangkok in March, however, I am currently changing our trip to Beijing and Shanghai while I can. I can not express in words my disappointment.

I consider the current risks due to the political unrest way to high to expose my family too. In addition, I find it exceptionally difficult to understand how a government and a monarchy could just stand-by and not intervene with airport closures effecting thousands of innocent visitors/tourists trapped in Bangkok.

I hope you find a suitable alternative Joe and have a fantastic time where ever you choose to go.

lincs
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is anyone planing on going to Thailand in March 09

Me Too!!!!!!!!

Im due to fly to Bangkok 28 Feb, stay couple of nights then on to Koh Samui also! Im so aphrensive, first time there too. Saved up all my hard earned pennies to go. I am travelling with my husband ad we are leaving our children with their grandparents for 11nts , we usually have a holiday once every two years on our own. So now i am really worried , to the extent of shall we go or sharnt we go. I know Feb/March is a long way off yet, but what if it all starts up again? I know its all what ifs but its a big deal when your a newbie in a foriegn country!

North Wales/Chester
Level Contributor
583 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is anyone planing on going to Thailand in March 09

I have spent hours reading up on the situation and possible high risks in the near future over there and have decided to cancel our trip for April.

I just find it too much of a risk for a trip which I have planned and saved up for all year.Am so disappointed but will be glad to be free of the worrying,after all it is supposed to be a holiday!

I couldnt bear worrying for the lead up to the trip then potentially losing money or even worse it all kicking off when am out there.No thanks. I am losing my deposit and will look forward to finding a new and safe destination.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is anyone planing on going to Thailand in March 09

i look forward to traveling in March. i have planned a lot so far and i won't look up for alternative choices. would be very pissed off if that **** happened again. will no longer travel around BKK but use it as a base for flights anyway

London, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is anyone planing on going to Thailand in March 09

yeah i have no idea what to do... someone did bring up a good point that a holiday should be relaxing and shouldnt be stressing that things like this could happen... i guess the next few weeks with the next turn of events will guide me to go or not..

im thinking of alternative destinations - possibly fiji but i know nothing about the place so ill have to do alot of research and i dont even know if it will weigh up to thailand.. i love the place!

Epsom, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is anyone planing on going to Thailand in March 09

Hi Joe

Me and the family are also booked for March 09 - had it booked for ages. Staying 4 nights in BKK and then down to Hua Hin for some rest. We have been to BKK before and loved it so much we wanted our kids to experience it. I'm hoping things will be sorted by the time we go - will be really disappointed if we have to cancel. We love Thailand and the people. I think you just need to be vigilant and sensible when you travel anywhere - hope you go and have a lovely time. PS. Koh Samui is extremely beautiful and you'll love it. Cheers Aries and family. x