We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for 1/2 day in Bangkok

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for 1/2 day in Bangkok

How do I make the most of 12 hours in Bangkok? I'll be arriving at BKK from Chiang Mai about 1 pm on Dec. 26. My flight to the US departs 6 am on Dec. 27. If I get a hotel in town, will I be able to get transportation to the airport about 3 am? Does anyone have recommendations on what I must see or do?

Indo
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for 1/2 day in Bangkok

I think you can visit MBK, Partunam or Erawan shrine & get the dinner cruise at the night, might it will be great.

I'm not sure you can take the transportation at 3 am maybe local TA can advice you more.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for 1/2 day in Bangkok

If you are right in the center of town, taxis should be easily available at all hours. You can ask your hotel to pre-order a taxi, for which there is usually a small charge, about 50 baht.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for 1/2 day in Bangkok

I had an early morning flight out of BBK. Upon arrival (also from Chiang Mai) I asked the desk at my Guest house to have a meter taxi available at 4 A.M.

All went smooth... the taxi was there (patiently waiting) about 10 minutes early. By the way... I stayed in Silom area (Baan Saldaeng Guest house) and it took about 45 minutes to get to the airport. (About 300 Baht ...I think.) That included tolls.

I pre booked my hotel (online) and I was glad I did.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for 1/2 day in Bangkok

for only short time, i would look for somewhere nice for evening dine out. a pint or two or three will follow! lol

imo, it's better to come back later to spend more time and not in a rush

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for 1/2 day in Bangkok

OOPS! I meant BKK. *You will be arriving on a Saturday. If you stay near a BTS it is easy to take the BTS to Chakuchak week-end Market. And this won't take up too much of your traveling time as you are on a schedule. You can leave when you please.

If you haven't used the BTS there are attendance there to help you in the ticket booth. Just say where you want to go. It's really quite easy.

Great ambience. If you've never seen it you should go at least once. It's pretty cool. There's the odd Musician that can be found playing good music.

It's the biggest out door market in the world. No one really knows how many stalls. It's a guess to say 1600. An eclectic assortment of all kinds of things.

Haggle just as you would in Chiang Mai. It's a bit like Loi Kroy Road, on route to the Night Bazaar ...only think of it as hundreds of stalls close together and under cover. ~It gets very hot by noon.

And of course the prices are a little different from the North as most of it comes from there. None the less... it still worth a look. Has food, antiques, clothing, animals, household items, beach sarongs, Thai hats etc; and silks. ...On and on.

It's out doors but go early if you are going. (Check it out online ...Google: Chatuchak Week-end Market. Note: Print a color coded map of the market.)

sydney
Level Contributor
128 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for 1/2 day in Bangkok

if it were me....MBK for sure!

The novotel at the airport is a nice hotel, you could stay there. check in, then get a taxi to where ever and come back at night.....that way you can have a late night and not have to wake up at stupid o'clock as you are right at the airport front door!!

Its not a noisy hotel, has a nice pool and decent room service.

UK
Level Contributor
944 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for 1/2 day in Bangkok

If you want to make the most of your time and see some of the sights in Bangkok, plus perhaps some shopping, I think you would be best to book a guide - 12 hours is not long but you would definitely maximise your time that way i think. We used Tong when we visited in 2006 and would thoroughly recommend her - her email is tourwithtong@yahoo.com

BB

UK
Level Contributor
944 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for 1/2 day in Bangkok

Forgot to say, in terms of what I would try and see - I think the Grand Palace is beautiful and you could combine that with a boat trip down the river and around the canals - you can see a lot just on an hour's trip.

BB

Perth
Level Contributor
525 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for 1/2 day in Bangkok

Hello Cindy

Have you considered getting a hotel close to the airport which would provide free pick up/drop off service to the airport. This way you can go into town for the afternoon and evening for whatever activities you decide on, stay as late as you like, and know that when you get up in the morning for your 6 am flight, you are only 5 minutes from the airport.

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for 1/2 day in Bangkok

Do a cruise down the river/canals or a klong ride. A visit to the Palace would be great but it takes a while to go through it all and there are always lots of people.

Do some last minutes shopping for gifts or even a handbag or two. Then do dinner at Cabbages & Condoms (the atmosphere, ambience, food & service is great and reasonably priced) take you camera as there are lots of photos to take even whilst dining.

Maybe drinks on the top of I think it is called Sirocco Restaurant and view the whole of Bangkok.