We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam hotel selections. Help!!!

London
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Topic
Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam hotel selections. Help!!!

Dear Asian travelers,

I've done a bit of work over the past few days on getting reservations in place for our (me and the husband) southeast Asia trip coming up in Jan.

We knew we'd go with chain, bigger and non-local hotels for the big cities, but wanted to stay at local places with a lot of local atmosphere for the others.

I'd love to get some thoughts from all you knowledgeable and avid Asia travelers.

Bangkok - 2 nights. Currently booked at the Plaza Athenee through SPG points, but I'm wondering if we should switch to the Royal Orchid Sheraton. Pros and cons of both?

Chiang Mai - 3 nights. Booked at Baan Orapin in a 1 BR suite. I found it odd that they wouldn't take a deposit, nor would they give a confirmation/reservation number. But maybe that's just me being a westerner ;)

Siem Reap - 3 nights. I'm struggling with this one. While I know Hotel de la Paix is overpriced and more 'modern' rather than 'charming', it seems to get rave reviews. I'm also contemplating the following places: Heritage Suites, Shinta Mani, Victoria Angkor, Journeys Within, and Hanuman Alaya. I feel like I looked into 2 dozen places, and these I highlighted as most appealing to me. Any thoughts would be wonderful.

Hoi An - 2 nights. Booked at Ha An in a deluxe garden view room. A little nervous about this because of some reviews stating that they are unreliable, but I found there to be VERY slim pickin's in Hoi An. Thoughts? I personally wouldn't mind staying somewhere like Life or Victoria Resort, but my husband felt it looked like a "Jamaican or Caribbean resort and we wouldn't know we were in Vietnam", so Ha An we went. If you can convince me otherwise on the resorts, I just might switch Ha An out.

Hanoi - 1 night. Booked at Hanoi Elegance 2 in a junior suite.

Halong Bay - 2 nights. Booked on the Halong Jasmine.

Hanoi - 1 night. Booked again at the Hanoi Elegance 2 in a junior suite.

And that's it. Thank you very much in advance for your input.

Best,

London
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam hotel selections. Help!!!

Thanks

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,744 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam hotel selections. Help!!!

well in Siem Reap, I think both Shinta Mani and Hanuman Alaya are great, shinta is nearer town and Hanuman is nearer the temples. The staff at both are great and because they are small they have character, maybe in Hanuman alaya you are closer to Cambodia, if that is still possible in Siem

London
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam hotel selections. Help!!!

Very good, thanks

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam hotel selections. Help!!!

Letthink,

My impression is that you are going to Hoi An for its cultural offering. If this is the case, Victoria Resort is way too far from the cultural and fun parts of Hoi An. You would need Taxi to get the "old town". I did not stay at Victoria Resort but I did have lunch and look around there a bit. The Resort itself is very nice. Service seemed to be ok from what I gathered from the lunch I had there.

Hoi An has many Vietnamese hotels. The problem with those hotels is that they are nice and great when they are new. For some reason, they do not age well.

Letthink, I agree with your husband about not staying at Victoria Resort. I do not have much affinity for Vietnam. However, Hoi An is a very beautiful place.

As for Siem Reap, Hotel de la Paix is way over price. I feel the hotel is so out of place in Siem Reap. It would be more fitting in London or NYC. If you must stay at a "nice hotel" in Siem Reap, I recommend Le Meridien. It's a chain hotel but does have a bit of characters and vey nice pool. Its service was one of the best I have received at chain hotels.

Good luck and Bon Voyage!

London
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam hotel selections. Help!!!

Thank you so much. We got a wonderful trip and great experience.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam hotel selections. Help!!!

Hi Letthink, can you give us an idea where you stayed and what you thought of your trip?

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam hotel selections. Help!!!

Hi Letthink, can you give us an idea where you stayed and what you thought of your trip?

8. Re: Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam hotel selections. Help!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 20:17