We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bangkok floating market

kent
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
bangkok floating market

hi ya peps were did you organise your floating market trips from ?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bangkok floating market

Tong organized our floating market tour. I actually joined someone else's tour that was advertised on Trip Advisor. (The date advertised worked for me.)

The day of the tour we were told Tong's mother had died so she couldn't attend. She gave us a "fabulous" guide to replace her. Everything was arranged. Really smooth. We all got along great. And all had a fabulous time!

I've been many times to Thailand but this tour was the best ever!

We did a paddle boat in the floating market (not the one that a lot of Westerners go,) Tiger Temple, bathing with the elephants, and River Kwai.

By the way... Tong charges by the tour not by the person. This was a 6,000 Baht tour. About 12 hours driving but the time flew as a passenger in Tong's quiet, smooth, new looking, A/C tour van - complete with Karaoke.

*We divided the tour among 4 of us. We paid 1500 Baht (plus tips) each. It was the tour of a life time!

Best!

kent
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: bangkok floating market

wow sounds wicked thanks for the info and the reply ,did u go pack packing or stay in hotels

Penn Valley...
Level Contributor
139 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bangkok floating market

So what was the floating market that most westerners don't go to?

Which of Tong's guides did you get?

We are on for a one day tour with Charlie in March.

Interested in a "floating Market" but are confused as to which one. Some appear to be terrifyingly touristy. Which we don't want.

Hence my question.

Jeanie

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bangkok floating market

Our tour guide was a Thai girl called tdi. Her name is pronounced: Thai. ~She hates it when people pronounce her name Di as sounds too much like die.)

tdi came in handy for haggling at the market. She knew a lot of details that made a difference to our entire tour. It was her first day working with Tong's company. ~And she was good.

A few years a go I went to a floating market. It was expensive to shop. This one had 2 buildings. (It's the market that most Westerner tour.) It was O.K. but the market below was much better.

During this trip I toured Damnoen Saduak Floating Market. Our guide suggested it and arranged the whole thing a head of time. (This market is less commonly toured by Westerners.) Lots of Thais here. *Good selection from the water, with good prices and great food.

We shopped from the water in a paddle boat (long tailed boat without motor) because it's cheaper (200 Baht.) The paddler comes with the boat. (We gave a small tip to the boat man who does the paddling.) ~No need for a "motored" long tail boat at a floating market. The paddle boats are quieter, easy to maneuver, less fumes and not to mention... they are much cheaper. (The motor long tails are 500 Baht)

The shopping and food was fabulous here! We had deep fried bananas and mango sticky rice on the water ... in the boat. I bought a lamp carved out of a coconut - the plug came ready to use for Western voltage, 2 pairs of cute thongs (100 Baht each and I paid 500 Baht for 1 pair of the same thongs at the other market. They kind of look like they have bamboo around the edges and they're really comfy.)

The ride up the Klongs was awesome too. It was really nice. No noisy motor or fumes is the way to go!

Best!

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bangkok floating market

hi also looking at the tours with Tong, has anybody visited Ayutthaya with her? Only got two days in Bangkok but want to cram loads in if possible!

thanks

Rach

6. Re: bangkok floating market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2009, 21:25