We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Report from Bangkok

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atyrau, Kazakhstan
Level Contributor
207 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Report from Bangkok

Just wanted to let people know what I am seeing from on the ground in Bangkok. The airport looks as if nothing had happened as does the city. Police were visible in strategic areas like Sukhumvit but looked relaxed. I saw a few red shirts, no yellow ones. The only evidence of any recent problems is that there were very few Europeans/Australians/Americans around town. MBK which is usally bursting with Weserners was practically empty except for locals. The good news is that it was easy to catch a taxi and some hotels had super deals but prices are the same at stores.

a60
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
464 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Report from Bangkok

Thanks - I'm flying out next Thursday and I was wondering how things were over there.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Report from Bangkok

yes indeed. There are very few tourists up and about at the moment, but I think this should start to increase once again as well. Time will solve everything!

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Report from Bangkok

yes there's quiet then there's bkk -stayed in the amari atrium last week, 24 floors, 30 plus rooms per floor - breakfast saturday 9.30 saw 6 people in the dining room. pus like the londoner were the quietest I've ever seen them, with trade looking to be down by well over 50%. rumours suggest some 5 star hotels have occupancy of below 10 people, official figures quote 25% occupancy. to the ear , especially in pattaya it seems the largest tourist numbers are probably russian - they may have been lagely unaffected by airport closures as they often fly into utpao.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,389 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Report from Bangkok

Thats excellent to hear and thanks for sharing !

Thailand
Level Contributor
815 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Report from Bangkok

Yeah.... things are back tomorrow.

Now's a really great time for foreigners to come to Thailand.

Amritsar, India
Level Contributor
216 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Report from Bangkok

hmm a quiet non crowded bangkok well not a bad deal..entirely that is...flying in on sunday 21st was wonderin how quiet it is...tnx

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
108 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Report from Bangkok

I just returned from Bangkok yesterday and had the same experience. I arrived there 5 days after the airport had opened and everything in the terminal seemed to be as usual, except the number of passengers.

Similarly, all around the city, very few foreign tourists were noticed and all restaurants, hotels and shops that I visited confirmed record low customers and complained about loss of business. Obviously, most blamed it on the closing of the airport and the political unrest in Bangkok.

I stayed at Sheraton Grande Shukumvit. It had closed off two of its 4 elevators, furloughed about a third of its staff and had closed off a number of floors because of low occupancy, one that was lowest ever, according to their Manager. Basil, One of the two gourmet restaurants was closed; the coffee shop stopped serving dinner. The service however was still the same first rate.

I experienced same at other hotels. Conrad closed its club 87 and there barely was anybody in its jazz lounge in the peak hours of evening. A friend of mine was in Pattaya, staying in Sheraton there. He said that there was only a handful of guests at the hotel.

By this Monday (Dec 15) however, there was noticable increase in number of tourists in the streets, hotels and restaurants. Sheraton was expecting high occupancy next week and all furloughed staff members were recalled.

So definitely, things are improving and every one I talked to seems to feel that things will become fully normal in terms of number of tourists in couple of weeks.

8. Re: Report from Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 19:16