We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I smell trouble.........

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Topic
I smell trouble.........

The Red Shirts (RS) now wanted to protest at the Parliament House and wanted the current government to step down.

This sounds familiar?

I am leaving for BKK in 10 days and the last thing I need is to deal with another fiasco again.

Let's hope this time history will not repeat itself.

By the way, how far is the Parliament house away from the city?

Dunac
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I smell trouble.........

If the protests restrict themselves to Parliament House, it wont effect tourists too much, but it seems like to is going to continue to escalate, and who knows where it will head too?

Mrs Kanyapak Maneejak (UDD core member) said;

"they will continue protesting to pressure the government to step aside or dissolve the parliament".

bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/…

And the government are not taking the protesting lightly, with 5000 police assigned to the protesting area, and the military put on standby;

bangkokpost.com/topstories/topstories.php…

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I smell trouble.........

The Red Shirts will not be given the free run of the place as the Yellow Shirts.

The police managed to arrest a red shirt for throwing a rock, but have not been able to find enough evidence or identify any yellow shirts yet for anything.

That should tell you everything.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,002 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I smell trouble.........

This last post by Mmonkie sound more assuring ^__^.

I wish the Airfare would be cheaper too ^__^

Dunac
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I smell trouble.........

MeOnly,

The post by Mmonkie may sound good, but it couldn't be further from the truth!

United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship(UDD) wont sit down and let this government (that wasn't democratically elected), push them around.

I believe that the reds will continue have the past government reinstated, which will cause mass rioting, and eventually lead to a military coup.

We only have to look back to 2006 to understand the Thai's passion over this issue;

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5361512.stm

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I smell trouble.........

I was here for that.

and the people protesting and succeded with the govt overthrow/coup were the Yellow Shirts :)

Not bad eh? 2 for 2.

...and notice how the Red Shirts couldnt do a counter coup.

Amritsar, India
Level Contributor
216 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I smell trouble.........

well i just got back yesterday...things are slow but it sure is business as usual didn't see or have any hint of any red or yellow rather any shirts...

Dunac
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I smell trouble.........

The UDD's tactics are a carbon copy of the tactics used by PAD, so what makes you think the reds wont take it further?

After all, the reds are the ones that are not happy with the current situation, not the yellows!

The reds want their elected government back in power, and that may well lead to a military coup, just as the yellows did in '06.

After all, the reds are doing same same as the yellows!

Former foreign minister Noppadon Pattama speaks to the protesters;

"Today the fight is not only for Thaksin but also for justice and democracy,"

P.S What is your meaning of 2 from 2 Mmonkie?

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I smell trouble.........

Far be it for me to claim familiarity with the political situation in Thailand.Furthermore I agree that the instability continues and further problems will occur.

However the difference (not negligible) between the PAD and the UDD (or,rather, their effectiveness and power) is that the military (most of it) the police (most of it) the palace and the privy council have been and are clearly on the anti-Thaksin (PAD) side. To this extent the claim of the UDD that the new government is the result of a "hidden coup" is probably close to the truth.

I think the army/police are much likelier to intervene against the UDD than they were against the PAD if things get out of hand.Not that that is very encouraging.

Bkk
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I smell trouble.........

Ozthemovie..

I guess you are confused.. the current government is elected not appointed or anything of that sort.. some might agrue that there is invisible hand in forming the government but there are elected from the same election.. the difference now is that the majority seats are now supporting the Democrat Party..

Dunac
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: I smell trouble.........

Thailand is not being governed by whom the people have democratically voted for!

PAD are against anything that is Thaksin, and through their airport sit-in, the existing PM was forced to stand down, and a new leader chosen to fill his place.

Is that democracy?

Thanks BkkChai for your attempt to put me straight, but I, as with much of the developed world, are well aware of the situation, and the disruption that this has, and will continue to do to Thailand.

Until democracy can rule, I believe civil unrest will continue to plague Thailand, and when you have that, anything can, and usually does happen.