We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shopping in bangkok

midlands, england
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
shopping in bangkok

We have not been to Bangkok for a few years. Can you advise the best shopping malls and areas to go to.

Went to MBK last time we were there, is this still good or are there better places now. We are going in February.

We are staying at the Shangri-La again, are there any good eating places close by as we could not find any the last time

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,993 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shopping in bangkok

If Siam Paragon wasn't open during your last trip, it might be worth checking out. It's not cheap, but fun. You can shop for anything, from lunch, to a new Lamborghini!

CentralWorld has done a makeover. Lot's of interesting shopping and eating there too.

Across the river from the Shangri La is Yok Yor Marina and Restaurant. They offer pretty good Thai/Chinese and a nice little show.

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shopping in bangkok

Bring a decent pair of comfortable walking shoes Dorise....and a empty suitcase,it's changed big time!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
322 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: shopping in bangkok

Any idea how much cheaper Apple Ipods are (in comparison with UK)?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shopping in bangkok

Mr. disco,

I don't know the price of an IPod in the UK but I did buy one at MBK. Things you might want to know about MBK IPods...

I bought the usual knock off that you find at MBK. I didn't want to spend much as it was the end of my holiday. I just wanted something to listen to until I got home. I haggled and paid 1000 baht for 4 GB. Than I paid 500 Baht to a Thai boy load it with songs. (Very handy on the spot.) -*Do take a list of songs and artists that you like with you. They can install hundreds of tunes in 1/2 hr while you shop around or eat.

The sound is decent. But just know that the directions are not compatible as it is a knock off. This made it frustrating as I didn't know until I got back to my hotel. Luckily I was walking distance. I went back to ask later that night.

Ask them to show you how to turn it off and on, skip to a the next song, how to find the songs to view, and REALLY IMPORTANT - how to adjust the volume. Write it all down.

By the way... the knock offs do say: IPod Nano on the case. ~You'll know it's a knock off as the round, wheel will not move. The wheel is only for looks.

They all come with a USB cable and ear buds. You can buy a portable charger for your home town for a little extra baht but beware: there's no way to know if it works. (My portable charger didn't work.)

Before you buy - you can listen to a demo of the one you want. I recommend getting an IPod with at least 8 GB. This will be your biggest savings! This is where the price jumps. You can get this for 2500 baht. (Good price.) This will get you something with decent memory and good sound. The more GB's the more you pay.

This is what I did - Go to a Thai boy not a Thai girl. ~Explain you want a good IPod with 8 GB (instead of 4 GB) and really good sound and good ear buds. He will point you in the direction of the best to buy from.

The knock offs are tricky to figure out, but once you do... it's O.K. ~The volume isn't the round, touch wheel as the genuine IPod.

I decided that I wanted the wheel and 8 GB so in the end... I bought a genuine IPod when I got home. The knock off is good alternative. Just because mine is only 4 GB - I'm giving it to my friend. Other wise it is fine.

Regards!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
742 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shopping in bangkok

Hi Dorise,

Definitely get yourself to the Pratunam area, it's a maze of malls. MBK, Siam Paragon, Pantip IT Mall, Platinum Fashion Mall, Central World Plaza are all here to mention a few!

Enjoy!

M.

6. Re: shopping in bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 15:16