We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mandarin Oriental - Dress Code

England
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mandarin Oriental - Dress Code

Hi

I am about to book 3 nights in June at the Mandarin Oriental for the start of our honeymoon to Thailand. I was really excited until I started to read about the dress code! Are you allowed to wear shorts and sandles in the daytime or is this not allowed? I am totally fine with the 'after 6pm' rule as I like to dress up sometimes but it's during the day that is worrying me.

My H2B would more than likely wear long shorts and sandles during the day (smart casual)and I love my flip flops so I need to think is this really the place for us if this is frowned upon even when walking through the lobby during the daytime!

I really would like to experience this hotel but also don't want to be made to feel uncomfortable.

Really appreciate any feedback!

Thanks

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,595 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mandarin Oriental - Dress Code

I have seen people entering and leaving wearing shorts and sandals. I haven't seen people wandering the hotel grounds dress like that though. If you do, you may be questioned often.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
583 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mandarin Oriental - Dress Code

There are no dress codes for guests at The Oriental Hotel. Shorts and sandals (flip flops) during the day are fine, jeans in the evening are fine. You will not be frowned upon by any staff member as you would be a guest.

The only request is when walking from your hotel room to the pool(s).. the hotel would prefer that you use and wear the robe in your room.. Not mandatory.. just preferred..

I had been a guest on several occasions, on my way to Nepal.. There was no way I was going to pack any sort of dressy type clothing...!

England
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mandarin Oriental - Dress Code

Thanks!..that's sorted then will stay at the oriental.....can't wait!!

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mandarin Oriental - Dress Code

Better hotels do not like customers wearing shorts or open tops in hotel lounges and bar/restaurants, dress more casually with trousers or skirt during breakfast and for ex. "cocktail hours".

After breakfast I usually quickly change to other leisure clothes depending on what I'm going to do that day; for going to Chatuckak or street markets I wear always (old) shorts etc.

Womens sandals are always ok at hotels (but not in temples) as long they are not just beach flip-flops. Fashion allows quite a lot.

For evening I normally do not "dress up" much more than at home unless there is special occasion. Long pants/trousers or skirt of course. Even you use jeans at home; I do not recommend them for Thailand as they are simply hot and too thick to wear in tropics.

Arriving / departing hotel lobby with any kind of clothing is of course allowed but I must admit that once we arrived directly from a beach resort to Banyan Tree hotel, I felt us some how undressed...

Dresscode in hotels should not limit your own holiday, remember that!!

HUNTINGDON,ENGLAND
Level Contributor
138 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mandarin Oriental - Dress Code

I have not stayed in the Mandarin in Bangkok but I have stayed in the Mandarin in Kuala Lumpur .Shorts ,t shirts sandals etc were ok during the day .But in the restaurant in the evening Long casual trousers and a shirt or sweatshirt with a collar was required but this can be casual.I am sure the BKK Mandarin will be the same.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mandarin Oriental - Dress Code

The Dress Code is to prevent hordes of tourists going to The Oriental tp gawp at the guests, and gives an excuse for management to refuse entry to seedy people.

As has been ststed, Guests can wear shorts/sandals and casual clothes at most times of the day.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mandarin Oriental - Dress Code

You can wear shorts / jeans/ Flip Flops at the Oriental. However, night time guests do tend to wear smart casual.

8. Re: Mandarin Oriental - Dress Code

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 21:18