We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels... Turning up on spec

Scotland
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels... Turning up on spec

Anyone had experience of turning up at 4-5star hotels in BK without a booking?

Can you get a nice room for 7 days easily without booking?

Can you haggle etc?

Any thoughts please.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels... Turning up on spec

I have turned up on spec at the Landmark (Sukhumvit Road near Soi 4)and haggled the price down slightly, sometimes depends on whom is on reception.

2/3 star hotels no problem at all. Most of the time I prebooked (payment on checkout) with www.asiatravel.com.

Australia
Level Contributor
215 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels... Turning up on spec

No shortage of hotels in BKK so you will have no trouble just showing up to book a room. Generally, walking in off the road you are going to pay the full rate - I think they call it "rack rates". I have probably done this five or six times in Thailand and I always tried to haggle the price down. A couple of times I did manage to get a bit of a discount but my experience and advice is to book over the net as you can get anywhere up to 50% off.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels... Turning up on spec

You may be able to haggle the rate down...but remember they will always add on 17% taxes at the end of your bill at hotels in Thailand.Have you tried the web accommodation sites(e.g.wotif.com ,sawadee and Asiarooms?)All their rates are factored in to the quoted price and some deals are book 7 only pay for 5.Also whats happens if you don't like where you are staying and you have booked there for a week?Should be plenty of deal;s for 4/5 star on the web just now.

Good Luck!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
10,692 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels... Turning up on spec

Have done it many times in Thailand but mostly at 3* places, always managed to haggle a real good deal but I suspect this was largely due to my (Thai) wife doing the negotiations! (She is almost embarassing when she gets into haggling mode and if she cant get too much of the price she haggles for upgrades, I have spent many a night in a suite paying the price of a standard room).

I think on the whole Ferang are generaly not that good at haggling compared to Thais.

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels... Turning up on spec

Rack rates are the only ones that you'll be offered if you just walk in to hotels. Nowadays noboby pays the rack rates as all agencies, internet etc. has so many own negotiated special rates.

This concerns all over the world and all hotel categories. It's not stupid to ask (for high rates) but it's stupid to pay them.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels... Turning up on spec

I know there are exceptions, but I can't think of a more certain way to pay too much, then by walking into a hotel without a reservation.

7. Re: Hotels... Turning up on spec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 01:16