We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do i need vaccinations to visit thailand?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
lfc
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
do i need vaccinations to visit thailand?

Hi all, a quickie, do i need any vaccinations to visit, were going to cha am and bangkok for a total of 10 days. thanks

london
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do i need vaccinations to visit thailand?

I'm not in the medical profession but as I go to SEAsia alot I know you need Hep A, Thyphoid, Tetanus, and if your heading out near the Cambodia and Thai rural countryside you may need anti-malarials, if backpacking and spending alot of time where quick hospital access is not easy Rabies may be advantage although it cost me £110 and that was 3 years ago, for 3 pre-exposure shots. But you should go to your NHS travel clinic through your doctors surgery to get advice at least 6-8 weeks before you set off. I hope this helps.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,739 posts
1,737 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do i need vaccinations to visit thailand?

We did Bangkok and Phuket and did not hav any vaccinations specially for the trip. We have also done Malaysia in the past and again no vaccinations.

London
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: do i need vaccinations to visit thailand?

This topic comes up regularly and always conflicting replies to this question.My simple answer is, no, you do not need vaccinations for the two areas you are visiting. Your biggest threat probably the traffic in Bangkok and crossing the roads.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,868 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: do i need vaccinations to visit thailand?

Because everyone's body is different, all suggestions are anecdotal. You need to decide.

Hep A is endemic. The proper use of Thai toilets facilitates the spread. Unless you plan to eat only factory wrapped, processed food, you may get exposed.

Tetanus boosters should be kept current, wherever you live or visit. Thailand offers plenty of opportunities for a scrape.

Most other vaccinations would depend on how deeply you immerse yourself.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: do i need vaccinations to visit thailand?

Hep A, Hep B and tetanus are shots everyone should have anyway, regardless of going to Thailand or not. Don't worry aboiut rabies - thats going too far.

brisbane
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: do i need vaccinations to visit thailand?

Yes this one does come up a fair few times Bottom line is go and see your doctor he will be able to give you the right advice.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,868 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: do i need vaccinations to visit thailand?

"your doctor ... will be able to give you the right advice."

That is if the doctor is schooled and experienced in travel medicine.

London
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: do i need vaccinations to visit thailand?

I agree Curt1591 - most U.K. G.P.'s knowledge of travel vaccination only comes from searching on internet or text books. Something you can easily do yourself. If living in/near big town or city best to go to proper travel clinic for advice.

brisbane
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: do i need vaccinations to visit thailand?

Yes curt a doctor that has studied years in medicine and recived a doctorate for it.

Not people on a travel forum handing out medical advice

brisbane
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: do i need vaccinations to visit thailand?

PS there are such clinics in australia that specilise in travel vacinations and what precautions to take pending to which part of the world you may be travelling too.