We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time to get through customs.

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Time to get through customs.

I am travelling through Bangkok airport, from Hanoi on the way to Phuket with my wife and 2 adult daughters.The plane arrives at 11.05a.m. and the flight to Phuket has been brought forward by Air Asia by 30 Minutes, to 1.25p.m. We have to check in by 12.40.Can anyone please tell me if we have enough time to get through customs and get checked in?It will be the first time we have been to Bangkok airport.

Loei, Thailand
Level Contributor
518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time to get through customs.

From my experience getting through immigration is the most time consuming,but even that seems better now at the new airport.It also depends how many other flights are arriving at the same time.

Going through customs is not like the inquisition it is here in Australia,so assuming you arrive on time I think you will be o.k

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time to get through customs.

Thanks for you help, regards Mick.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time to get through customs.

You will have to collect yr luggage and recheck-in again at AA.

Air Asia is strictly a point to point carrier, so they do not assist to transfer luggage to another AA or other airlines's connecting flight.

AA check-in counter is at Row D&E, the former is for Thai AA domestic flight. Verify when you reach the airport, but these were the counters when I depart BKK, 2 wks ago. You will have time, just don't divert your time to toilet breaks, grabbing a drink/bite etc until you had check-in/pass thru the security checkpoint.

London
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time to get through customs.

Last time it only took me 30 mins from the plane landing to exiting customs - but can vary a lot depending on time of day.

UK
Level Contributor
882 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time to get through customs.

Hi Mick, I am usually optimistic on things but your schedule could be a little tight. It is unlikely to be customs causing delay but immigration. In the last year I have passed from plane to taxi in 1 hour a record for me but recently I was 1 hr at immigration, and you cannot hurry these guys. A lot of planes arrived around same time- it just takes a couple of full Jumbo's.

Then you collect luggage, and go downstairs to find and join the Air Asia to check in.

It is a large,and in my opinion well signposted airport but the distances from jetway to immigration can be large.

Choices as I see them are to join immigration line and ask people if you can move forward in the queue or consider changing your Phuket flight to a later one. Maybe a snmall fee but less hassle

It just takes your Hanoi flight to have a delay and you will be very stressed- do you need that on vacation.

Best wishes and Good Luck

David

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time to get through customs.

Thanks for your help Dave.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time to get through customs.

Thanks for your help Wanderin and Cassandra.

London
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Time to get through customs.

Mike just get off the plane assap there are travelators to help as its a big airport, having travelled through bkk 6 times in the last month it takes on average (if your quick and know where yr going) 40mins to get through get your bags check in again and get to your gate.

Step one - off plane check with light attendant what baggage zone you need.

run / fast walk to imigration, have all paper work already filled in (there are no pens available)

Get your bagage

Head for the exit

Straight upstairs on the travelator

Find your check in window for which ever airway your flying with.

Get to check in have everything ready

Fill in your boarding pass, continue straight through to security. (smile say nothing lol)

onto your gate. If your hungry burger king is right at the end at the last gates.

Have fun

Welcome to /Thailand !!

If you get time take a trip to Koh Samui you wont regret it Koh Phi Phi (where they filmed the beech)

all the best

desdalton@hotmail.com

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time to get through customs.

Thank you, Des Dalton,that's a perfect break down, to the second,thanks again.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Time to get through customs.

It's not a question what might be the quickest way to change flights - the point is who is responsible to costs if you miss the "connecting" flight.

Airline will cover the costs if the minimum transfer time is ok but if the transfer time is too short, you pay yourself extra costs such as possible overningt, meals, re-booking costs and in worst case a new ticket.

Same concerns when travelling with 2 tickets, thay all just point-to-point journeys and you have the risk for connections. Ie. travelling with one ticket, airline will make ness. arrangements if connections is missed.

The connection times do vary also depending of internationla/domestic connections and also of the direction of your travel at the airport in question.

Travel agencies can check all the minimums in their booking system but I have found something in internet too but I'm not sure if this can be 100% trusted. It gives you the guideline anyhow:

…about.com/od/airports/a/minimumconnect.htm