We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night in Bangkok !!!

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cardiff,wales
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
One night in Bangkok !!!

We have an overnight stop in Bangkok and are staying at the Novotel at the Airport arriving at about 1700hrs. My questions are

1) What is the easiest / best way to get into the City. There will be me,my wife and our 8yr old daughetr.

2) Where should we go? We only have one night. I would like to go to the Grand Palace but I understand it is closed in the evening.

thanks very much..

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night in Bangkok !!!

Unfortunately the Grand Palace is closed before you arrive. Taxi is the only practical way to get into the city from the airport hotel, fare around 300+ baht, plus 70 baht in toll charges. Traffic in the early to mid evening will be quite heavy.

I might suggest a dinner cruise on the river (http://www.loynava.com), or a visit to the Suan Lum Night Bazaar. Many shopping malls are open late until 9-10pm, such as MBK (may be too crowded for an 8 years old), Central World, Siam Paragon etc.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,318 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night in Bangkok !!!

Hi Englishmanincardiff

Yes, I agree that the easiest way to get into town is by taxi. When you come out from customs & immigration there will be loads of touts trying to persuade you into a limo. Find the public taxi meter rank where an official will ask you where you want to go, will write a ticket for the taxi driver and take you to a taxi.

You probably won't get to your hotel until around 8 or 8.30 so dinner is a must. Don't know where you're staying but GO OUT. There are heaps of great restaurants to suit every taste everywhere.

Unfortunately it will be too late for shopping except the night markets which are great fun. Don't forget to bargain. Ask your hotel where is the nearest night market.

What a shame you have only one night. Bangkok is a wonderful city and there is so much to see and do that you really need to treat yourself to lots more time there when you can in the future.

Travelkat88

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night in Bangkok !!!

Sounds like a great title for a song..hmmmmm. Oh yeah---it is!!! LOL.

Barrow, Alaska
Level Contributor
183 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night in Bangkok !!!

I agree with dragonc...go to the Suan Lum Night Bazaar. That's a nice quick little taste of Bangkok. You got tons of food, shopping, massage, beer, and even some live entertainment all in the same place. It's one of my favorite places in the city, I always make sure to get there at least once when I'm there. It's all outside though, so dress appropriately. The cheapest way to get there is by Taxi, but you may even want to ask the airport hotel about the options they have available...it might have a shuttle or something. That will most likely be more expensive than a taxi, but if you think the price is good enough, it might be easier (not that taking a taxi is dificult). I've never stayed at the airport hotel, so I'm not sure if they even offer that service or not. Definitely get out and see some of Bangkok though...it's a fun & interesting city. OneLuv! Respect!

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night in Bangkok !!!

I do not want to be pessimistic but remember that you'll be suffering of jetlag that can be pretty bad when flying from west to east - on opposite direction it is just a piece of cake.

Do not plan anything with schedule for that evening! Might be that you just want to go to sleep but try to go out at least for a while, Suan Lum night market might be suitable idea as there are also open restaurants to have dinner. "Behind" the market area are several places, italian, german, indian, thai and in the middle of the market is big openair restaurant/bar area with thai live pop music on stage. Most of places are open air but some have room also inside with aircondition too.

Shopping is pretty good, remember though that your brain will propably not be in brightest shape (yes, it's true) and you can easily be lured...

Then you can easily return back to hotel when you feel for it, taxis are just outside and remember to accept a taxi that accepts to use the meter!

6. Re: One night in Bangkok !!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 19:24