We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A word of warning : Old scam - different flavour

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
220 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
A word of warning : Old scam – different flavour

As 'old hand's at the travelling game and having smiled sweetly at those who advise us that JT’s house, The Golden Palace, the Temple’s are closed…. we surprised ourselves at how close we came to believing a scam-artist as we came of the shuttle-boat at the sky-train terminal early one morning.

His patter went like this:

'Hello, I know you. I’ve seen you at the Peninsula. I was with my uncle, who works there. He is the marketing manager - a very prestigious job in Thailand. He speaks excellent English and sent me to school to learn English too. Where are you going? Oh, Siam Paragon. There is big trouble today at Siam Paragon. Have you seen the protests on TV? Well, there is a protest there this morning and the shops won’t open until 1 o’clock this afternoon. There will be riot police. Very dangerous. However, the Thai Export Centre is open (shows us where it is on a map) – the tuk-tuk drivers will take you there'.

As we walked towards the tuk-tuk drivers, we released how he knew were at the Peninsula – he had watched us get of the shuttle. He was very polished, friendly, and very, very believable. We chose to ignore his advise, and of course Siam Paragon was very open, and not a protester in sight.

Over the course of the next few days, we saw many people being ‘collared’ as they disembarked of their shuttle – and quickly advised them that they were being scammed.

Cheers all

bfg

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A word of warning : Old scam – different flavour

A good warning and reminder, that anyone who approaches YOU (out of the blue), should be treated with the utmost prudence.

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
842 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A word of warning : Old scam – different flavour

The head to head battle between New Delhi and Bangkok for the "scam capital" of Asia continues unabated! Despite this valliant new approach - New Delhi still has the edge!!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
726 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A word of warning : Old scam – different flavour

Having been scammed in Bangkok, now I am about to be scammed in New Delhi, am I? After this I think I'll stay at home in dear old England!

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
842 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A word of warning : Old scam – different flavour

Broadacres:

Nah!! Come ahead - just keep reading the forums for the latest tips.

Was in York a few years back - a wonderful city. Ran into no scams that I knew about!

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A word of warning : Old scam – different flavour

Isn't every one in England being scammed by the Royal Bank of Scotland?

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,274 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A word of warning : Old scam – different flavour

To the op. Be vry careful when informing others getting off the shuttle. Your scammer may very quickly lose his pacif demeanour and become very hostile. It has happened to others.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
726 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A word of warning : Old scam – different flavour

Very true, SydneyJed, and we taxpayers are suffering the consequences!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,648 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A word of warning : Old scam – different flavour

Hi bfgmiket

Please be very careful when warning other tourists about a scam artist. This is the way they earn their living and they have networks of contacts all around the city.

Bangkok is a wonderful city and the people are really lovely, but you can find bad eggs in every society everywhere in the world.

Sorry, but the best advice is to turn a blind eye and protect yourselves. Other than these small annoyances (tuk tuk drivers etc, people who tell you places are closed, etc) you will thoroughly enjoy the place and want to return again and again.

Travelkat88

9. Re: A word of warning : Old scam – different flavour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 13:18