We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kachanaburi Orphanage

Perth, Western...
7 posts
Save Topic
Kachanaburi Orphanage

Anyone knows the name of the orphanage in Kachanaburi that Tong brings her tour grp to? I booked a tour with Tong and asked her but she hasn't replied me with the info, so I was wondering if someone here could perhaps help me with some questions about the place?

I would like to know the estimated number of children living there, and their wishlist if they had one?

Also if they had a website like some orphanages?

Finally, ideas for gifts for the children would be appriciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kachanaburi Orphanage

Type of gifts depend on their age.

In general, all the orphanages are in need of essentials like toiletries, food items, clothes for the kids, school stuff.

I would rather make a money donation and take sweets for the kids.

There is nothing worse than being given stuff they don't need as there is so much they do need. Ask Tong for advice.

From my experience, smaller kids like cuddly toys.

Perth, Western...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kachanaburi Orphanage

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I did try to ask Tong but she never replied my questions about the orphanage(estimated number of children, what they need, etc.). I don't know if she overlooked them or she was too busy to reply to them.

Tong only suggested buying the children cake, which I have agreed to. I'll stick to bringing sweets and soft toys for the children and perhaps making a donation for them once I find out that the money I give will directly benefit them.

I am just worried that if I gave them cash, it might "disappear" somewhere else. How can I be sure that it goes to the children?

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kachanaburi Orphanage

Moo Baan Dek is the name of the orphanage we went to with Tong. It is also known as the Childrens Village School. We bought the children lunch and ice cream and also left a cash donation, receipts are given out. I have one of their pamplets and as an example donation rates based on feeding the whole Moo Baan Dek community, almost 200 people are : 3 meals, $120 us dollars, one sack of rice $64, one big bucket of ice cream, $32, lunch only, $44. Prices may have changed since I was there. They also have a sponsership programme which was $200 US for 1 child per year.

There are quite a number of children ranging in ages here so individual gifts might not be a good idea, but I'm sure Tong can give some suggestions. I still get little parcels in the mail, a letter written in Thai, carved peices of wood for a key ring, etc....It was and still is one of our best days spent in Thailand, especially for my children.

Try this website: www.ffc.or.th

Have a great time and say hello to Tong for me, she really is a gem..

Rene

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kachanaburi Orphanage

sorry that website is all in Thai, try this one:

http://www.ffc.or.th/mbd/

Perth, Western...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kachanaburi Orphanage

Hello Ellietia,

Thanks so much for the info. Exactly what I was looking for!

Will say hello to Tong for you :).

Cheers.

Perth, Western...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kachanaburi Orphanage

Oops, Thanks Rene.

:P addressed you by your nick b4 I saw your name.

Perlin.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
378 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kachanaburi Orphanage

We visited a different orphanage on our own. I will try to find the website at home. Our hotel's concierge called for us and they requested Pampers and baby formula, which we took. Might be worth having your hotel staff do it before you go as depending on the time of the visit, needs may be different.

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kachanaburi Orphanage

Unless you insist on the orphanage in Kanchanaburi look at the following link:http://www.moobankru.com/bankrunoi_Eng/e_menu1.html

Be rest assured that the donations will go to the kids. .

9. Re: Kachanaburi Orphanage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 16:20