We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jbr part 1, four days in bkk (2 days with Tong)

essex
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
jbr part 1, four days in bkk (2 days with Tong)

Day 1, arrived in Bkk around 5 pm, after 11 hour flight. Travelled to Majestic Grande by car transfer,

The driving in bkk is absolutely mad! Lanes don’t seem to mean anything, and the motorcycles weave in and out of the nearly stationary traffic, with as many passengers on them that will fit!! Great welcome at the MG, rooms all fantastic with great views (see hotel reviews) Shower and dinner in hotel restaurant, then early bed!! Exhausted!

Day2, Awake at 3 am! so phoned home, then a little more sleep. Breakfasted in dine@7, then off to explore! First - walked along the road to ploenchit centre and stocked up on essentials, water milk, beer etc!! Then off to the skytrain, went the few stops to mbk. It was like an indoor market, plenty of bargains to be had, bought leather wallets, a few handbags and some other bits and bobs.

Then back to hotel, for a swim and dinner. Early night again, a long day ahead the next day!

Day 3, Tong was there early, but we were ready! Amazing to meet her at long last, after all the emails. Off we went, in her vip van with Tong chatting all the way, telling us the history of the area and pointing out the various landmarks. First stop was the market on the railway, we hadn’t actually booked this, Tong said it was a little extra trip! So many sights and smells in one place was unbelievable!! We walked for a while then Tong quickly pulled us into a stall, and the train was coming! All the stalls pulled their goods inside and pushed up the covers and then the train went through,Cant believe they do that 8 times a day!! Tongs Happy stop was next! we stopped at a porcelain painting shop,(with clean toilets)! Next we were off to the floating market, Tong providing us with cold towels and drinks. The market was something else!! Tong bought us deep fried bananas, coconut pancakes, iced coffee, in a bag, and noodles! We went further into the canals and Tong fed the dogs, it was so peaceful. Another Happy stop at a wood carving shop! Tong said not to buy anything, it was “UN reasonable price”! she said. Next back to Bangkok for the Grand Palace and Wat Pho. Tong is a mine of information and also very emotional when talking about the King and the Royal family. We spent a lot of time out of the heat while she explained the history of all the Kings, then outside for photographs and the tour. Tong is very good at taking photographs, and also very funny! After Wat Pho we were beginning to feel very exhausted, so we cut the day a bit short and we went back to the hotel. We needed our strength for the next day!

Day 4, Tong picked us up at 8 o clock, raring to go even though she didn’t feel well and had only 2 hours sleep!! I don’t know how she does it! Off to Kanchanaburi! Long drive to War cemetery, very emotional place and beautifully kept. Tong wouldn’t come in, she said it upset her. Then to the bridge at the river Kwai. A bit touristy but got some good photos, Tong was full of information, think she must have an encyclopaedia in her head!! Then the highlight of the day, The Tiger Temple. !! You have to do this trip with Tong or one of her team. We led baby tigers on leads, she gets you first in the queue for walking the big tigers, and when we got down to the canyon she brought us fans and drinks, and also got the handlers to take extra photos for us! What a fantastic experience. My daughter cannot believe she had a tiger lying in her lap!! After all that Tong is on her phone ordering our lunch. We went to a dear little restaurant, all the food was ready for us, along with cold beers and water when we got there. We felt like royalty! Off again, this time to the death railway. Tong ushered us across the track to the other side of the train “to get the best view!” When we got on someone got in front of her, so we couldn’t get next to the window. Tong is running up and down the train to find better seats, and she did!! Great views from the train and lots of photos. Then the long drive back to Bangkok, Tong put on a dvd for us, but I don’t think we saw much of it! I think even Tong had a little nap!! Traffic in Bangkok was horrendous when we got back. Something to do with the Royal family, and some of the roads had been closed. We were stationary for the best part of an hour, and Tong going “I need a Happy stop”!

Anyway she didn’t charge us for that hour. We said our goodbyes, knowing that we would always remember our time in Bangkok! The next day we were off to Phuket. Sorry if this was a bit long.

Look out for my jbr part2!!

Wat Ratchanatdaram Woravihara (Loha Prasat)
Sacred & Religious Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Khlong Bang Luang Artist House
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Wat Prayurawongsawat Worawihan
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Khao San Road
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Neighbourhoods
Dublin
Level Contributor
101 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jbr part 1, four days in bkk (2 days with Tong)

Thanks for the report Kathy, I'm also doing the Bangkok day trip with Tong when we arrive in July, I can't wait

Brisbane
Level Contributor
368 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jbr part 1, four days in bkk (2 days with Tong)

Thanks for the great jbr, reading it made me feel even more exited about our upcoming trip to Krabi,Phuket and Bangkok in 8 weeks time.

We are also doing a tour with Tong, so it was good to hear about your experience.

Looking forward to Part 2

Adrian-Kelli

3. Re: jbr part 1, four days in bkk (2 days with Tong)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 02:18