We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which would you go to first: MBK or Suan Lum?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
760 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Which would you go to first: MBK or Suan Lum?

Arriving at 1pm on a Thurs for only 4 days with 2 teenagers and staying at Arnoma.

Which should we go to first: MBK or Suan Lum? We will be out on a tour next day and will go to JJ Market Sat. morning.

Sunday, our departure day will be reserved for last minute shopping.

Am curious as to which one most people would choose to go to first.

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which would you go to first: MBK or Suan Lum?

For years I have been shopping at Suam Lum and avoided MBK as I had heard the shopping there was not that great - lots of cheaply made clothes/bags etc. I finally did go to MBK a few visits ago and it is now on my "to do" list each time I am in Bkk.

So I would definitely go to MBK first. It has a much better choice of goods that Suam Lum. Prices at Suan Lum are also higher and the traders are reluctant to bargain that much.

The other place worth visiting is Platinum Mall - which has a great variety of goods and good prices. It is about a 10-15 minute walk from Siam skytrain station/Paragon Mall.

Enjoy your shopping.

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
317 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which would you go to first: MBK or Suan Lum?

I need a nice shoulder/messenger bag (For a man) that I will be using to go to the beach and on short day trips on Thailand.

I though about buying one here in the US, for about 80 - 100 bucks. You think I could find a cheaper one in Bangkok? Something nice though, that's why I was willing to pay 80 - 100 here in the US.

I'll be in Bangkok for a couple of day before I need this bag.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
760 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which would you go to first: MBK or Suan Lum?

Thanks Traveller for the insight! Will do MBK first to get a feel of the prices and do Suan Lum the next night.

Canberra ACT
Level Contributor
232 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which would you go to first: MBK or Suan Lum?

Mioz and Lopez

MBK for shopping - much better than Suan Lum in my opinion- better range by far and better prices. Lopez- there are some shops that sell what you are looking for at MBK at good prices-

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which would you go to first: MBK or Suan Lum?

If you want nice souvenirs, bamboo, rattan etc go to Suan Lum and if you want shoes, bags, electric/phone related items etc, go to MBK.

Barrow, Alaska
Level Contributor
183 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which would you go to first: MBK or Suan Lum?

Hit MBK during the day for some shopping, lunch, and maybe a movie, head to Suan Lum at night for some shopping, dinner, and live entertainment. That's a good day.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
760 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which would you go to first: MBK or Suan Lum?

Thank you all for taking the time to reply! Will definitely go to MBK first and then Suan Lum when MBK closes.

My husband and I have been to JJ Market before so we may skip that after we visit Suam Lum. I think my 2 teenagers will be more interested in mall shopping than a hot, crowded market.

Thanks again!

8. Re: Which would you go to first: MBK or Suan Lum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 06:20