We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thai Airlines economy class...don't do it!

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Somerset
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Thai Airlines economy class...don't do it!

Having just returned from our honeymoon to Samui on Thai air economy class, my advice is don't do it. They still have some old planes on the London-Bangkok route and we were on a full flight, no seat back entertainment, no headrests and seats that came up to the top of my husbands shoulders, no foot rests. WE landed swearing never to return to Thailand. It does the tourist trade no favours at all.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,081 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Thai Airlines economy class...don't do it!

I've traced the info to a few other forums including one here, cannot find anything official from Thai though, interestingly a search for flights in June is showing a 744 on both flights. I think mailing them will be the best idea, please let me know if it's not the case and I'll delete the info

cheers

london
Level Contributor
330 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Thai Airlines economy class...don't do it!

you should never rely on having a certain aircraft type when booking a Thai flight. They have 2 different types of 747-400 = one with decent seats and seat back screens in business class and one without. The newer type is listed on the LHR-BKK route but is often swapped at the last minute - and Thai do not give a monkeys - even though you may have paid £2000 and ended up with a seat not much better than economy.

To be fair, other than the lack of entertainment, the economy service on Thai is decent enough - better legroom than most and reasonable food.

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
678 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Thai Airlines economy class...don't do it!

You are being so horrible saying you will never return to Thailand just becuase of no entertainment or footrests.

Thailand has much more to offer.

Loei, Thailand
Level Contributor
518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Thai Airlines economy class...don't do it!

<<You are being so horrible saying you will never return to Thailand just becuase of no entertainment or footrests.>>

We should add it to the list of weird complaints made by English travellers

news.com.au/adelaidenow/…00.html

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,092 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Thai Airlines economy class...don't do it!

What I think is "horrible" is misrepresenting what the op said. He said that even after enquiries and assurances, the plane was changed. That is a legitimate complaint.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Thai Airlines economy class...don't do it!

Fair go, the OP didn't mention checking which plane etc. And it is kind of average, (kiwi's insert the word horrible here) using a poor flight experience as a reason not to return to Thailand.

I think Somnomna has summed up the situation well, although I can sympathise that an uncomfortable 12 or so hour flight can leave you feeling bitter.

Cathay Pacific are another carrier that use old A330's between Australia and Hong Kong (en route to BKK). After 8 hours x 2 on their planes, I swore never to subject myself to that again (but it won't keep me away from the Kingdom). :-D

Somerset
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Thai Airlines economy class...don't do it!

The truth is we had a fabulous time when we actually got there. My point was that this was our first trip and the initial impression from the trip was negative because the national carrier was using old planes. The staff on board were excellent but we landed aching from various joints! I am pretty short so leg rests are pretty important and not being able to rest your head anywhere for 13 hours is very uncomfortable when my husband is 6'1".(we are more mature travellers). I usually do a fair bit of research beforehand but with the wedding arrangements and the blind faith that all long haul flights with national carriers would have basic comforts, I didn't on this occasion. Lesson learnt. Samui was fantastic, the people were delightful and I certainly would return..... just not with Thai Air unless I could afford Business class!

London
Level Contributor
8,118 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Thai Airlines economy class...don't do it!

A few weeks ago when I researched flight to Bangkok in August, their website stated a340 planes on midday flight. Just now rearching again it now states 747-400 - so looks like they have reverted back to 747. But as far as I am concerned, seatback tv or not, would always fly Thai. As for basic comforts, I have flown most of the carriers to Bangkok, and have found Thai have far more basic comforts than most airlines. As for 747-400 being an old plane, it may be older than a340 but not in the category of what I would class 'old plane'.

Loei, Thailand
Level Contributor
518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Thai Airlines economy class...don't do it!

<<What I think is "horrible" is misrepresenting what the op said. He said that even after enquiries and assurances, the plane was changed. That is a legitimate complaint.>>

Sorry I can't see where they wrote that at all - but point taken about a legitimate complaint.I do agree with them in that Thai do have some horrible old bangers up there.The old MD-11 that used to do the Bangkok- Brisbane-Auckland run was a prime example - narrow seats with all of the padding worn away so it felt like you were sitting on a metal frame for 8 hours,bugger all leg room and you were lucky if the entertainment system worked at all.

But even with all this I certainly would not judge the rest of Thailand by it.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,752 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Thai Airlines economy class...don't do it!

Gotta say swearing never to return to Thailand just because of a poor flight by one carrier sounds a bit extreme after all there are plenty of other carriers out there only too happy to take your business. I personaly would only ever fly Thai again as a last resort as they are usualy expensive (only just cheaper than the BA) and I do like a bit of entertainment to while away those very boring hours as |I do no sleep well on planes. I usualy fly either Eva or Etihad and have found them both to be at least as good if not better than Thai in the service dept. (Etihad especialy) and both offer decent in flight entertainment systems and much newer planes.