We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping tour guides

Rushden, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping tour guides

Could anyone give me a rough idea of what to tip a tour guide,if you have been happy with their service.I don't want to look mean by offering too little but on other hand don't want to give too much either.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,047 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping tour guides

Tipping is not generally expected in Thailand. If the guide is an independent operator with his or her own company, I wouldn't tip: I'd expect adequate compensation is built into the profit margin.

If the guide is an employee of a company, a small gratuity if you really thought the service was extraordinary. Maybe 50 baht. 100 baht would be particularly generous. Do NOT calculate a percentage of what you paid the company.

If he herded you into boutiques and restaurants which pay commissions, do not tip at all, not one satang.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,619 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping tour guides

Hi,

I'd agree with bill2, if it's an organized one-day type tour, then I'd be ok with not tipping.. This assumes that your guide did nothing extraordinary for you.. If is was a one-on-one type guide then-- depending on level of service-- a small tip of perhaps a few hundred bahts (100 or 200) would be appropriate.. Again, unlike in the 'west'-- the act of tipping is not as common.. and in many circumstances a pre-determined "service charge/gratuity" has already been added to your bill...

Rushden, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping tour guides

Thanks for your help,that gives me a good idea of what is expected.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping tour guides

Agree with the above. There is one regular poster who states that 50 Baht is "an insult" for a boat cruise. This is not so; 50 baht is certainly satisfactory.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping tour guides

we dont really tip i guess some people ask for a tip but just being cheeky.pay a fair price for the goods and services,with small change i dont worry about collecting so i guess thats a small tip in itself.i dont use guides,i prefer just winging it

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping tour guides

Well I think that some business owners in Thailand suggest higher tips on TA so that they are not under pressure to increase the wages they pay to their staff.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping tour guides

For ex. in Thailand where tipping is not an obligatory thing, I have used a tip-barometer such as "one beer" or "daily lunch" as value of my gratuities when such is in correct place.

This has worked well in all years and goes along the inflation as well.

8. Re: Tipping tour guides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2009, 05:19