We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any tips for travelling with a 3yr old! on the plane

sydney
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
any tips for travelling with a 3yr old! on the plane

I'm try to choose the flight time between over night flight and get there in the morning or day flight ! I'm not sure which one will be easier to deal with a 3yr old on the plane! my husband think the over night flight is a bad idea because the little one wouldn't be able to sleep well anyway, many interruption here and there! also sleeping in the sitting position for 9 hours will be so uncomfortable for her! what can we do or what can we bring on the plane to make her more comfortable ( to sleep ). Which flight will more likely to be empty so she can lay down across the seat! direct flight ! and what time ! thanks all the parents out there for the help in advance!

Sweden
Level Contributor
232 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any tips for travelling with a 3yr old! on the plane

Hi

I have traveled a lot with my daughter. She is now 5 years. The first time we flew to Thailand she was 2 years old. We never had any problems. I guess it all depends on what the child is like. It is really hard to give any advice for other children. I would go for the overnight flight. She will probably be exhausted and sleep well. The biggest problems when we travel is that the sleeps all night and she is full of energy when we arrive. But med and my wife have been awake almost all night and wants to go to sleep when we arrive.

Bring her favorite pillow, toys and maybe a gift of some kind. Make it a special moment for her. Bring things she likes to eat like her favorite snack. Spoil her, it is worth it. And don´t worry to much. It will be fine.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any tips for travelling with a 3yr old! on the plane

I have many younger friends that often fly between Thailand and Australia (they live here), they always opt for the night flight. They also try to plan the day of the flight with enough activity to make the little one weary.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any tips for travelling with a 3yr old! on the plane

Something to chew on occasionally to de-pressurise the ears.

Kids seem to go off when their ears are going to pop.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,032 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: any tips for travelling with a 3yr old! on the plane

I always like to arrive in a different country during the day hours. This makes it easier for transportation, you get a full night in a hotel, etc.

Changing your kids sleep and up time to more closely match the time in Thailand might help. On the plane little kids can find all sorts of positions that adults can't do even on the economy seats. Keep the seat belts on during the flight though whenever possible.

Like the previous post mentioned - pressure changes affects some kids a lot. Something to chew on does help. Adults often hold their nose shut and blow to clear ears, ask your doctor what to do for a child.

Some kids on planes are real good and keep quiet. And then there are the "kids from hell" who are constantly moving around yelling, crying causing a problem for other passengers. Sometimes the parents seem to ignore this - don't ignore this for the sake of other passengers - you aren't at home where you may be used to this! Keep your kid under control and quiet please.

On some airlines the flight attendants give the kid little "flight wings" and maybe some kid type things. There are special meals for kids too.

If your kid is making a lot of noise and bothering other people take charge and just don't ignore it!

Good luck.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any tips for travelling with a 3yr old! on the plane

I would have to agree with all that the previous person has mentioned in their two posts. Sweets to chew on are a must according to my friends whose children experience ear problems on flights.

I have just spent time at a small resort where a couple of guests (with a 2yr old and also 4 yr old)were staying .The youngest child was left unattended most times in the restaurant area and created chaos.

I did feel sorry for the mother and father but I also felt sorry for all of the other guests. The child screamed constantly, dragged all of the cushions off the seats, threw his food everywhere etc, etc. Mum and Dad just ignored all of this (to the displeasure of the other guests) and just kept eating and drinking.

It isnt always difficult travelling with small ones as I have done it but please think of the other occupants of the plane / restaurant etc.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any tips for travelling with a 3yr old! on the plane

It may depend on the child, but here are some suggestions. Some 3 year olds actually will respond to a low stress conversation about how to travel on an airplane, how to be quiet, entertain herself quietly, etc. A couple of practice games may help. I would choose the night flight. My experience has been that young kids will fall asleep on airplanes when they are tired, so planning your departure day is important. You want them awake enough to deal with the airport and the stress of getting on the airplane, but tired enough so they will fall asleep soon. My experience is getting to the airport early helps. It allows time to move slowly, look at airplanes, and take a walk. If the parent is stressed, the kid is more likely to get stressed. I think a 3 year old will sleep fine on an airplane, but just accept the fact she will probably fall over on you or your husband. Some things you won't be able to control.

san francisco
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: any tips for travelling with a 3yr old! on the plane

Akmoore,

Check out this link: http://www.flyingwithkids.com/ which we used as part of our arragments while traveling in Thailand and Vietnam.

Hope this helps.

Scott

8. Re: any tips for travelling with a 3yr old! on the plane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2010, 05:17