We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour with Tong recommended?

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Tour with Tong recommended?

Hi all

I have finally booked my flights to Bangkok end of this year. Wanted to go to the floating market, railway market, death railway, bridge across river kwai, coconut plantation and tiger temple. Have emailed Tong for a quote and she has recommended that we take the van (cause there are 5 of us) I have calculated the total charges , come up to about $400 sing dollars for a day trip. Qtn is, is it worth the $ to get Tong or should i just book a tour with the tour shops in bangkok city? S$400 is quite a big sum so want to make sure it is $ well spent.

thks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
824 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour with Tong recommended?

It's worth it. Tong and her guides have done these tours hundreds of times and as a small intimate group you get the royal treatment - far better to do such a tour at your own pace - doing what you want to do - rather than to have to wait for everyone to board the bus on your way to your next destination.

We did a tour as a couple in a sedan and loved it!

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour with Tong recommended?

Hi Redback_venom

understand that there are tour shops that offer pte tours as well but so far, tong is the only one which keeps popping at TA forum. just want to make sure there are no other pte tours that are just as good but at a lower price...

thks

kentucky
Level Contributor
205 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour with Tong recommended?

I would stick with Tong. You may save a few dollars with another company, but what type of service will you get. Tong is a proven winner!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
394 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour with Tong recommended?

I can't recommend Tong highly enough! My husband and I had a fantastic time with her 2 years ago. We visited the floating market, bridge across river Kwai, Kanchanaburi cemetery and Moo Baan Dek (childrens orphanage).

Tong made the trip fun and exciting as well as informative. Tong made sure we got to see parts of Thailand off the beaten track and that were not visited by hoards of other tourists.

Your money is well spent with Tong and I'm meeting up with her again in December.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Nikki

Level Contributor
4,194 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour with Tong recommended?

Your experience may depend on the particular guide that is assigned to you but my overall experience with Tong has been satisfactory.

SGD$400 for a whole day private tour is not expensive. If you feel that it's expensive, it's probably a little over your travel budget and you should reconsider using other coach tours.

Your ratio is 1 guide + 1 driver to 5 participants vs. probably 1 guide + 1 driver to 308~40 participants. It cannot be compared.

There were 2 of us, with a Toyota Camry, 1 guide + 1 driver for a whole day tour around Bangkok and vicinity. The total came to almost US$300.

We had a lot of opportunities to chat with the guide to ask questions, about the Thai culture, stay longer here, shorter there and very flexible itinerary including places that we wanted to visit at the last moment.

Dover, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
66 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour with Tong recommended?

We have used Tong on several of our trip to thailand over the years. She is VERY busy , as is her team. If you don't hear frome her in a few days , give her another email. Her personality is part of her charm. She really wants YOU to enjoy Thailand. worth every penny.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,815 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour with Tong recommended?

Tong is well worth it. We had a day with her to the floating market and tiger temple. Highly recommended.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour with Tong recommended?

HI all

wow, it looks like Tong has a lot of fans out there! I am inclined to book her, it is my husband who needs to be convinced...will be speaking to him soon and hopefully, he will "approve"! keeping my fingers cross...

btw, if i cover the floating market, railway market, death railway, bridge over river kwai, coconut plantation and tiger temple, how long will the whole trip take?

for tiger temple, is it advisable to bring young kids there? my youngest is 4 years old.

thks

Pinkpower
Level Contributor
248 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour with Tong recommended?

Very tiring for the lil 4 year old:(

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour with Tong recommended?

hi

that is my concern too...my youngest will be v tired. btw, what is the driving time between the various destinations for instance:

- railway mkt to floating mkt

- floating mkt to coconut plantation

- coconut plantation to death railway

- death railway to tiger temple

if it is too hectic, may drop the coconut plantation. if the driving time is long, the kids can take a short nap on the van.

thks