We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa and passport control in Bangkok

England
Level Contributor
274 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Visa and passport control in Bangkok

We are flying into Bangkok end of November with Qatar from UK, wanting to fly out to KS with Bangkok Airways. We arrive 0700 and there is a flight at 1030, my question is how long are the queues at Bangkok for visas or would we get the visa in KS,and would that be enough time or would it be safer to book on the 1200 flight.

I don't think we would have to collect our baggage because we can ask to have them sent on. We have booked other flights with AA with connecting flights but with the flight times there is a little bit more time inbetween.

Would be grateful for any advice.

Regards

Manch08

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa and passport control in Bangkok

Assuming your flight doesn't arrive too late, you'll have OODLES of time - even more so if, as you think, you can check your baggage all the way through.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa and passport control in Bangkok

It depends on the time of your arrival. Sometimes I feel that the line can be long esp if I arrive from another country. For some reason, it seems that many the international flights arrive within certain time block. On the other extreme, when I fly with Air Asia (international routes), the lines are usually short. And they don't ask lots of questions at the passport control like in the UK.

Having said that, I think you have plenty of time for your connecting flight. If it gets really bad, don't hesitate to ask custom officers for help. Sometimes there are a few of them stand close to the passport control handing out custom/entry form etc.

England
Level Contributor
274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa and passport control in Bangkok

thanks for the good advice.

Regards

Manch08

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
43,266 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa and passport control in Bangkok

How long are you staying in Thailand? If no more than 30 days you do not need a Visa as your passport (which MUST have at least 6 months to run from the date you leave, gives you a waiver. So you just pass through passport control and, assuming that Qatar allows luggage to transfer to Bangkok Airways (have you confirmed this?) you just follow transit signs. You should have plenty of time even if you do have to collect your luggage and check it through yourself.

England
Level Contributor
274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa and passport control in Bangkok

Hi

Thanks, I will double check about the luggage. We did book a flight with AA to ST, a few weeks ago, but decided it was much easier to fly straight there. We know we wont get a refund, but what the hell! We should have thought things through bit more, put it down to our age!

Thanks for the input

regards

Manch 08

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,105 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa and passport control in Bangkok

Hi

You need to make sure that Qatar and Bangkok Airlines have an interlining (through-checking) agreement. Can't find any reference on eithers website. You will know when you check in for your initial flight to BKK in the UK if you need to collect your bags in BKK and check in again.

Know you won't be able to check your bags through with Air Asia.

England
Level Contributor
274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa and passport control in Bangkok

Hi

Thanks again, I will contact Qatar this coming week and make sure this end save any problems in BK.

Cheers.

Manch

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa and passport control in Bangkok

GOPBI is the Bangkok expert on airport and airline stuff..I'm sure she can help you if you ask her!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,673 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa and passport control in Bangkok

HI,

Qatar Air (QR) and Bangkok Airways (PG) DO in fact have a ticketing and baggage interline agreement..

As such, so long as you can show a valid confirmed same-day departure on PG when you check-in back in the UK, Qatar can check you and your bags all the way thru.

Bangkok Air does maintain such agreements with a number of airlines, there current list is found here:

bangkokair.com/information-service/index.php…

Note that your PG and QR tickets can be separate, but you must be able to show the first airline that you hold a valid confirmed seat on the 2nd connecting flight to use the "interline" agreement.

When you arrive at BKK you'll proceed to clear Passport control and under go a security re-screen before heading upstairs to the departures level. Domestic flights leave from the "A" and "B" wings.. You will reclaim your bags in USM and undergo

Customs control at that point..

Normally bags that have NOT undergone Customs control are delivered to a different belt or area in the reclaim area versus bags that are domestic origin (thus not needing customs clearance)..

If you have any problems with your seat or need help from PG staff, there is a large connections desk area just before reaching the Passport Control area-- look for the PG logo on the desk or the reader board above each position.

Travel Safe,

10. Re: Visa and passport control in Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 07:20