We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monitor Lizards in Lumphini Park?

Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Monitor Lizards in Lumphini Park?

I have heard there are Monitor Lizards running wild in Lumphini Park. Is this true? If so, are they everywhere in the Park or are they hard to spot? Is there a certain place in the Park where they can easily be seen? I'd love to take some pictures of these beautiful lizards so any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Cambridge,UK
Level Contributor
320 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monitor Lizards in Lumphini Park?

Never seen or heard of these at Lumpini before.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monitor Lizards in Lumphini Park?

Yeah it's true. Laid down on the grass for a rest and woke up to find one next to me.....scared me a lot :)

Most of them I saw were swimming around in the Lake. Beautiful animals. There was a thing in the news about them recently. Do a you tube search foe monitor lizard bangkok for some some good vids.

UK
Level Contributor
309 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Monitor Lizards in Lumphini Park?

Have seen them when touring the Klongs on Thonburi side of the City and have seen quite a few of them in the Lumpini as well.

We saw them mainly in the little rivers connecting the main lakes of the Park. They're not shy and took us by surprise at first (we legged it off at one point thinking we were being chased by a crocodile LOL).

Melbourne
Level Contributor
280 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monitor Lizards in Lumphini Park?

HI there

Yes its true they are there by the river or lake we have just returned fromt there also when we went to the night market at Suan Luan Bazaar we had to walk past Lumpini Park and we saw many half in half out of the water by the bank sleeping the only thing between us and them was about a metre and the iron fence I think we counted about 15

Regards Josie

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monitor Lizards in Lumphini Park?

They roam freely around the park, and there have been no incidents that I know of. Seems humans and lizards can bask together.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monitor Lizards in Lumphini Park?

I recently had a shock when swimming at a beach in Krabi. I regularly go to 'Dawn of Happiness Resort' in Ao Nang for a seaside break. While swimming a fellow guest called out that there was a snake in the water near me !!! I broke the one minute mile limit and legged it oput of the water.

Turned out to be a monitor lizard !! it dived to the bottom when it realised people were watching and then surfaced elsewhere. There are a few scattered about the resort and I like to watch them sunning themselves.

I know that in Meleka (Malacca) there are heaps in the waterways and the boat drivers have even given them names.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
471 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monitor Lizards in Lumphini Park?

I have seen them at Lumpini Pak and also at the part next to Chatuchak market.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,343 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monitor Lizards in Lumphini Park?

Water monitors are everywhere in Bangkok. Trying to predict where one will pop up is difficult. The last one we rode by was a 6 footer, crossing the road near the King's digs.

southern england
Level Contributor
201 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monitor Lizards in Lumphini Park?

Yeah, we've seen them every time we've been in Lumpini Park too.

Was quite funny watching 2 park keepers and 1 policeman (I think ) getting a big one back into the park after it had wandered out onto the street beside a VERY busy road. They had big sticks and were guiding it to safety, but it was pretty ungrateful and was lashing out with its tail!

Seattle, USA
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Monitor Lizards in Lumphini Park?

I took some pictures of them while I was there last time. If you would like to see them just send me a message.

Owen