We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for first time visitor to Bangkok

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
189 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for first time visitor to Bangkok

My wife and I are planning to visit Bangkok for the first time at the end of November. She'll be about 6 months pregnant, and we are just looking for a short trip to have some time off before the baby comes along. Nothing too hectic, just some shopping, sightseeing, the usual stuff.

Will Bangkok be safe/suitable for us?

I have also done some research on where to stay, and there're two main areas I'm considering:

1. The area around Soi 8/11 Sukhumvit Road

- hotel choices include Citadines Bangkok Sukhumvit 8/11, Adelphi Suites Bangkok, On8 Sukhumvit Hotel, President Palace Hotel, Aspen Suites

2. The area around Siam Square

- hotel choices include Centara Grand at CentralWorld, VIE Hotel Bangkok, Amari Watergate Hotel and Spa

Any advice on which area would be better in terms of location and convenience?

Thanks in advance!

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for first time visitor to Bangkok

It's as safe as Singapore I reckon. The Vie hotel gets great reviews see here;

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293916-d120115…

It's right next to the Ratchathewi BTS station, so your one stop from Siam, and two from National Stadium (MBK).

Some other short and informative TA Inside pages which may help your vacation go smoothly here;

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293916-c73920/Bangko…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293916-s303/Bangkok:…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c116554/Thail…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293916-s301/Bangkok:…

Singapore
Level Contributor
189 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for first time visitor to Bangkok

Thanks. The VIE looks lovely but is a little on the pricey side, so I'm a bit hesitant. I'm also considering the Pathumwan Princess, but I heard they're undergoing refurbishments now. Anyone knows if that has been completed?

Actually, between the Siam Square and Sukhumvit areas, which would be better?

Singapore
Level Contributor
460 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for first time visitor to Bangkok

Hi, think it's better to stay near Siam Square area. Sukhumvit is more for the clubbing scene. I'm also going Bangkok in end Nov and have booked room at Cape House, good rate with excellent location. At least, you can walk to anywhere. check their hotel website for the best rate.

Durban, South Africa
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for first time visitor to Bangkok

Amari Watergate is LOVELY........Good location - easy walk to Pratunam, Platinum, Pantip Plaza and Central World Plaza - so plenty of shopping! The hotel also has a lovely pool and other facilities for relaxing.......you'll be able to buy lots of lovely baby clothes!!!!

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for first time visitor to Bangkok

Stayed at Pathumwan Princess last year november when tehy had renovations going on and first new rooms were just in use frm a few days earlier - nothing about the renovation bothered us, could hadly see or hear anything of that. Of course<they are making to renovations floor by floor and you can of course request a room away from on-going floor.

New rooms are nice and functional - free club lounge use was included with all day long services. Recommend highly!

Location is just suberb as you can enter MBK directly from hotel's 2nd floor a it's airconditioned all way. Shopping, eating, massages, etc all just next door! can not be easier.

singapore
Level Contributor
101 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for first time visitor to Bangkok

I've just booked On8. Gg in end Nov. The best rates I've found are from their own website.

7. Re: Advice for first time visitor to Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2010, 06:18