We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to Bangkok - Which travel book?

new york
Level Contributor
120 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
First Time to Bangkok - Which travel book?

Hello - I am currently planning my trip to Bangkok and am deciding between guide books. For those that have used them, which do you recommend? I am deciding between Lonely Planet and Time Out. Something I am looking for is a list of the popular tourist attractions and how to get there using the Sky Train or the subway system.

Thanks all!

Co Van Kessel Bangkok Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Night Tours, Cultural Tours, Boat Tours
Follow Me Bike Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Withlocals
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time to Bangkok - Which travel book?

Buy the Nancy Chandler Map of Bangkok.....!!!!, It comes highly recommended by many people on forums and book review sites etc. We're going to BKK in few weeks, we bought one.....its more than a map. You can buy it on Amazon. Check it out, it is a fantastic concept. We also bought the Lonely Planet book, it's ok too.

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,800 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time to Bangkok - Which travel book?

hi, you may check the Frommer's Day by Day for Bangkok.

I used the one for Hong Kong and find it great to use on the field: the book proposes itineraries according to how long you stay in the city.

It is easy to carry, maps of the areas with sightseeing site locations, list of sites with address and how to go there.

http://www.frommers.com/store/174216854X.html

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time to Bangkok - Which travel book?

I concur with the OP. Purchase Nancy Chandler's Map of Bangkok. Nancy is an American who has lived and worked in Bangkok for around 35 years. Each year her team put out an updated version of her original famous map. It is overflowing with information and importantly from your perpsective, titdelineates clearly the routes of both the Skytrain and the underground.

I note that you are from NY. Any good map house in the city should have a copy of Nancy Chandler's map, otherwise use an on-line book site. You won't be disappointed in Nancy's map!

London
Level Contributor
137 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time to Bangkok - Which travel book?

I used the Lonely Planet guide this past week, and it was very helpful

new york
Level Contributor
120 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time to Bangkok - Which travel book?

Thanks everyone. I am heading to the book store tonight in search of these! Can't wait for my trip!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time to Bangkok - Which travel book?

@superyooch which travel book did you end up buying? I am looking to go to Bangkok/Chiang Mai/Samui in May 2010 for honeymoon - wondering if you recommend the books you bought?

I see that Lonely Planet is comingout with a new books - Discover Thailand and Frommer's has a new edition coming out on April 2010.

new zealand
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time to Bangkok - Which travel book?

Does anyone know if I can buy the Nancy Chandler Bangkok Map here in New Zealand.

Thanks

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
608 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time to Bangkok - Which travel book?

My cousin has just bought me Nancy Chandler's Map as a gift and it is brilliant!

I ADORE maps anyhow but it is a delight to just look at - I've spent all morning poring over it to plan my Bangkok itinerary for March (only regret now is that we won't be in Bangkok for longer)! I'd highly recommend getting a copy.

I also have Lonely Planet and that's pretty good.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time to Bangkok - Which travel book?

nzfamily_9: You could try Whitcoulls, otherwise you can buy it directly from Nancy Chandler herself, which I initially did about 17 years ago. Go to her web site www.nancychandler.net and you will be able to place your order there. I think it delineates the cost of air mail to various parts of the world.

Edited: 08 February 2010, 03:34
New York
Level Contributor
103 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time to Bangkok - Which travel book?

Is there a place to buy Nancy Chandlers map upon arrival? (bookstore at BKK airport?)