We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendation please 4 *+ close to shopping areas?

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel recommendation please 4 *+ close to shopping areas?

Hi

We will be in Bangkok from 16-20th November at the end of our trip. We will be doing sightseeing at the beginning of our trip so the last few days will involve shopping and day trips.

please could people recommend a minimum 4* hotel or an area which would be convenient for shopping/markets? we need to find restaurants and bars etc at night too although not keen on being v close to red light areas/gogo bars etc

We really like to look of the Marriott resort and spa but is this too much hassle going back and forth across the river/the city? or would people recommend this hotel to escape the busy city?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

England
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel recommendation please 4 *+ close to shopping areas?

Hi, I would definately recommend the Marriott stayed here on numerous occasions and love it, they have a free boat shuttle all day over to the skytrain, and it dont take long on the skytrain to get to the shopping areas, the Hotel is lovely, stayed at a few different ones in Bangkok, but the Marriott is like a Oasis in a hectic city. I will be in Bangkok 18 till 22nd, but on this trip Im staying at the Cenrtury Park Hotel, simply because I stayed here last year with my sister and family due to cost, and Im travelling alone this year so thought Id stay here again as the price is very good, not too far from the skytrain. But definately my first choice would be the Marriott everytime.

Hope this helps

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel recommendation please 4 *+ close to shopping areas?

Thanks Goonerbunny, that's a great help!

i also like the look of the Marriott because it looks like a good way to "escape" the hectic city at the end of the day...but are there places near there to eat/drink??

any advice from anyone else?

Thanks very much.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
82 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel recommendation please 4 *+ close to shopping areas?

How about the Pathumwan Princess? I stayed here last February and due to its location have booked again for this February.

It is adjoined to MBK shopping mall which is very big. Across the road is Siam Square offering more shopping and eating opportunities. The Skytrain is also located near the hotel too.

I'm not too sure about restaurants as I've always eaten where we happen to be at the time, but we did have a very nice meal one night at the hotel Italian restaurant next to the pool.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel recommendation please 4 *+ close to shopping areas?

Thanks Carol, will check out the price of Pathumwan Princess on latestays.

anyone else like the Marriott or suggest a differnt area to stay in?

Thanks!

Portsmouth
Level Contributor
88 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel recommendation please 4 *+ close to shopping areas?

We stayed at the Swissotel Nai Lert Park, the grounds are really great and a definite escape from the hecticness of the city, but it's also walking distance to the shops and has a rail stop at the end of the road, all round excellent hotel/location IMO.

England
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel recommendation please 4 *+ close to shopping areas?

Out the front door of the Hotel and across the way there is like a little parade of shops, including a Sizzler, a Thai Resturant, and I think Mcdonalds, Im sure there is a couple more, theres also a Boots there too, its not big but there is something within walking distance, but its also nice to eat at the Hotel just as you come of the shuttle boat there is like a bar which does food, and its quite reasonable from what I can remember.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,639 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel recommendation please 4 *+ close to shopping areas?

Check out reviews of Siam@Siam, very close to MBK etc

Perth
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel recommendation please 4 *+ close to shopping areas?

Amari Watergate.

Smack bang in the middle. We stayed there with my (then) 4 year old, it was awesome. Great service, best location. Big rooms and soo very clean. Loved it, will definitely stay there again in April when we are back to Bangkok.

9. Re: Hotel recommendation please 4 *+ close to shopping areas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2010, 05:17