We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM availability

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
ATM availability

Is ATM's widely available or do I need to bring dollars to exchange money. I'm hoping to avoid the double conversion from rand to dollar to bhat.

Are there an ATM on the airport?

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM availability

ATM are plentiful! Also at the airport. Probably more than in South Africa and the best way to get some Baht!

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM availability

ATMs are everywhere but there is a 150 baht charge for every transaction on a foreign card. Don't change money to US$ - its a waste of both your time and your money.

3. Re: ATM availability

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 August 2010, 13:35
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM availability

Thank you so much. I see Krung thai bank and SUPEr rich (Ratchadamri) have the best exchange rates. Thanks for the useful link. And unfortunately our currency is ZAR and not SAR which means less bhat for me due to a weaker rand. )-:

5. Re: ATM availability

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 November 2009, 10:56
Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM availability

Miki sorry for the confusion with SAR & ZAR my bad.

As you can see there's a 50% difference between which bank you choose.

It will obviously pay dividends in your case to take a taxi to one of the SuperRich Offices to make that initial transaction before relying on ATM's (of which Krung Thai Bank seems to offer the best rate... i.e. you won't find SR ATM's as far as I know).

Here's where they're located;

www.superrich1965.com/Eng/location.aspx

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,695 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM availability

Siam Commercial Bank has announced it's slashing the 150 baht ATM fee to 15 baht.

California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM availability

Hi;

I like the ATM options even it charges a 150baht each transaction .

For a 10,000baht draw , this fee is only 1.5% and Not that bad .

However, a draw 15000baht the fee is lower at 1.00% and totally

acceptable. The worst thing is carrying too much Cash around .

Use the Safe box for all important Doc. and Cash .

The CC is another way to use and spend in Bangkok .

Ofcourse, the CC. will charge transaction fee too.

New York
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM availability

I will be travelling from the US. Should I get USD exchanged to Bhats - since i can do that upon arrival at the airport? I will be going to the Phuket airport. Are there ATMs available in there? Or will it be cheaper to get in exchanged in the US?

Thanks.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,695 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATM availability

Don't exchange anything abroad. Whether cash, travelers cheques or ATM, you'll get a far better rate once you arrive in Thailand. There are ATMs EVERYWHERE, and the foreighn exchange booths in the airport give the same rates as downtown.