We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bkk Taxis

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
145 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
bkk Taxis

After reading several posts about taxis at Bangkok airport we are now even more confused. We have travelled through BKK a lot and normally just go up to departures for the best price taxi, but now apparently it has all changed, could somone please let us know what is the best way to get to the city centre. Is it now right you have to buy a pre paid voucher from a taxi desk but still pay extra for the toll roads.

Cheers

Gav & Michelle

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: bkk Taxis

Check out this FAQ (found top RHS of the Bangkok Forum page):

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293916-s301/Bangkok:…

Trying to catch a cab from Departures might have saved you 50 baht in the past but do the right thing and catch your cab from Arrivals.

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bkk Taxis

Unfortunately a few posts on this site over the last few days have confused what is normally a easy procedure that people do every day...catch a taxi!!!The official taxi stand has moved at Bangkok airport and is now on the lower floor(the floor below arrivals!)For this walk down the ramp 1 floor,then look to the right hand side,you will see it.Inform the girl there where you are going and she will tell the taxi driver and give you a slip of paper which you keep in any case of dispute.ALWAYS insist on a metered taxi..(inform the driver every time you get into a taxi of this)...Not rocket science by any stretch of the imagination,but it makes you wonder lately why some people try and make it so!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bkk Taxis

Only back from Bkk about a week now and got a cab from departure area no problems. Not so much to save money but not to have to wait for ages in line downstairs.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bkk Taxis

Firie, we shouldn't promote the 4th floor departure taxi trick on the forums (I've been guilty of using that method in the past too), because it's illegal and fraught with other dangers, especially for the less familiar visitor.

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bkk Taxis

Hit the nail on the head Fourb,lots of tips that work for some people,but alas a post is written telling travelers to go to departure's for a taxi! It is illegal by the way for the taxi's drivers to pick up from there and you have no recourse if any incidents happen neither!!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,210 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bkk Taxis

Flew into BKK a couple of weeks ago and walked straight up to desk and straight into taxi - there was no queue at all

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,139 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bkk Taxis

Hi

I normally go downstairs to grab a public taxi and I have never had to wait for more than a couple of minutes to get a taxi. Go to the counter/desk outside and just tell them where you are going and then you get assigned to a taxi. There is a 50 Baht airport tax that will be added to the meter and the express way tolls are 25 + 45 Baht. In the end the cost will be about 400 Baht going into town. I have a Bangkok trip report that you might find useful if this is your first time going to Bangkok. Send me an e-mail on gardkarlsen@hotmail.com and I'll send it to you. Have a great trip :-)

Regards

Gard

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,746 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bkk Taxis

I don't know where this idea of "having to wait ages" or "a long queue" comes from. I always use the official taxi stand and I never have ever had to wait more than a couple minutes.

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: bkk Taxis

Don't be shy gardkarlsen. Why not post your JBR on the Bangkok forum?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
145 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bkk Taxis

Thanks for all the advise looks like we will be heading downstairs to the taxi counter.

Cheers

Gav & Michelle