We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banyan Tree or Shangri La

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hull
Level Contributor
119 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Banyan Tree or Shangri La

Any advice on where to stay? I'm looking at the Banyan Tree and the Shangri La. Which one is better?

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Banyan Tree or Shangri La

I love Shangri La, but admit I haven't stayed or seen the Banyan Tree.

Shangri La is set on the river in beautiful grounds with 2 lovely pools - one is only for guests staying in the Krungthep wing though!

The rooms are lovely and either overlook the river & pool or the river & city. Restaurants are lovely - we ate in the buffet restaurant which has tables outside under the trees which are full of twinkly lights. The Italian is fantastic too. All in all superb location (close to a skytrain station), beautiful hotel ans superb staff.

Hull
Level Contributor
119 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banyan Tree or Shangri La

Thanks Julie

UK
Level Contributor
943 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Banyan Tree or Shangri La

I think the Banyan Tree looks beautiful, but the Shangri La is in a great location on the river, next to a Skytrain stop and next to an Express boat stop. We tend to stay at the latter for that reason.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Banyan Tree or Shangri La

I would go for shangri-la

Bangkok
Level Contributor
420 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Banyan Tree or Shangri La

What is your purpose ?

If for leisure, take Shang. Much more convenient to the sky train and better view of the river.

For business, Banyan is a better product with larger size of guest, 45 sq.m. It is also all suite hotel, so, separate living and bedroom area. The view of the overall Bangkok during daytime and night time is also better.

Pick yours !!!

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Banyan Tree or Shangri La

I haven't stayed at the the Banyan Tree. I stayed Shangri-La last year and loved it. As theothers have noted, it has a good location, excellent river views which are really enjoyable after a long day of tuk-tuking around the city. The Thai restaurant there is excellent. We had a rice dish served in a pineapple shell!

Hull
Level Contributor
119 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Banyan Tree or Shangri La

To everyone who replied thanks for the advice I have booked The Shangri La and cant wait.

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
129 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Banyan Tree or Shangri La

im booked at the shangrila this year... ive stayed at the banyan tree and it is very nice, cool pool, and spa...great hotel..but the location of shangrila is way better.

uk
Level Contributor
248 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Banyan Tree or Shangri La

who have u guys booked shangrila thru? what rates are you getting and when are ou going?

UK
Level Contributor
404 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Banyan Tree or Shangri La

I have stayed at both hotels within days of each other in 2003.Both are good hotels although like others have said for location the Shangrila is the better choice.

I would however recommend a visit to the Banyan Tree's roof top restaurant Vertigo to bring your dining experience to "new heights"