We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where is this place....Anthony Bourdain been there.

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
where is this place....Anthony Bourdain been there.

Hi all

i watch the travel&living show(repeat i think) where there is restaurant which you walk around with basket pick your own seafood and vegetable and pay. The ingredients then will be cook in front the way you like it.

can anyone tell me what the name of this place and where. we will be staying Novotel on siam.

regards,

Bangkok
Level Contributor
424 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where is this place....Anthony Bourdain been there.

I think it should be the famous "The Seafood Market" on Sukhumvit 24. At the present there are many restaurant trying to copy but not the same standard and hygiene as The Seafood Market.

You can take skytrain to Promphong Station and take tuk tuk there, enjoy !!

Good luck

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where is this place....Anthony Bourdain been there.

Scan through the reviews here;

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d1…

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where is this place....Anthony Bourdain been there.

You can find better and cheaper seafood than The Seafood Market. Having said that, I like the place alot. Several years ago I was there with my Thai wife, her sisters, 2 other farangs, and the Thai girlfriend of one of the farangs. We let the ladies choose what to eat and how to prepare it. My wife asked if anybody wanted something specific, and one of the guys asked for "popcorn shrimp". Of course none of the Thai women knew what he was talking about, so he did not get his shrimp. A few days later we met up with ny sister in law again at Ubon Ratchatani (sp?). We went on a day trip to the Mekong River. This time I was the only nonThai, so I again let the ladies order lunch. The first dish brought out was a covered pot, and it was going "pop", "pop". The popping noise was live shrimp trying without success to get out of the salad.

The Seafood Market has a large selection, good service, and is quite a spectacle. It is very big. I enjoy it and have always had good meals.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,849 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where is this place....Anthony Bourdain been there.

Compared to other seafood restaurants which don't have the supermarket gimmick, it's extremely expensive.

And DON'T go there with a tuktuk. You'll get ripped off, or even driven some place you don't want to go. Just get a metered taxi. From the BTS it shouldn't cost any more than the 35 baht flag drop.

Edited: 22 February 2010, 08:13
perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where is this place....Anthony Bourdain been there.

thank you all for reply. after read all the reviews i change my minds not to go there.

cheers

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where is this place....Anthony Bourdain been there.

This place has all of the charm and warmth of an aircraft hangar. It is gimmicky, it is overly expensive and there are a couple of more things that go on there which I won't detail. Suffice to say I advise all of my friends and relatives when visiting Bangkok NOT go go there.

7. Re: where is this place....Anthony Bourdain been there.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2010, 05:19